Automation: Can I convert a Sub-Task to an Issue via automation?

Ryan Cabanas August 7, 2020

Hi,

As an automation "Action" type, I'd like to be able to convert a Sub-Task to an Issue.  Can this currently be done?

Thanks,

Ryan

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2020

Hi @Ryan Cabanas 

Not that I know of - see AUT-463 which suggests this enhancement.

A workaround though would be to use the Action "Create Issue" to create a story based on a trigger against the sub-task.

For example, the rule might look like this:

1. Trigger: Choose the required Trigger for this rule
  2. Condition: Issue Fields Condition - for Field select "Issue Type", Condition select "Equals", Value select "Sub-task"
  3. Action 1: Create Issue - changing "Issue Type" to Story, and then populating the necessary fields with new data, or copied data from the trigger issue. You could also link back to the trigger issue using linked issues - perhaps add a link type of "converted from" for example?
  4. Action 2: Transition Issue - with Destination Status as "Done". You could considering having a resolution of "Converted" which could also be set, for example?

^ You can modify the wording / data points depending on your use case.

It isn't the exact process you're seeking, but you can isolate those sub-tasks which ran through this rule using fields like linked issues or resolution so it's clear which ones became standard issue-level, as opposed to were closed as complete.

If you'd like more specific instructions, let us know your requirements and we can place it into this layout for you :)

Ste

Ryan Cabanas August 10, 2020

Hi Stephen,

Okay.  Thanks for the suggested workaround.

Ryan

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events