Automatically updating % done field in Gantt chart

Amanda Green May 2, 2022

Is it possible to use automation to update the % done field in the WBS Gantt chart when a task status is marked as done?

2 answers

0 votes
Hikaru
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 1, 2022

Hello @Amanda Green ,

This is Hal from Ricksoft. Unfortunately, WBS Gantt-Chart for Cloud does not have the functionality that updates the % Done field based on the issue status.

Instead, you can update the % Done by Jira Automation if you are using Jira Custom field. If you are using app's fields, please change the field configuration. The documentation is below.

How to convert app's own data to Jira issue link/field

Update Percent Done via Jira Automation

1. On WBS Gantt Chart, go to Gantt configuration > Issues > Edit > Make sure “Use specific field” is marked for Percent Done.
    image-20210910-060152.png

2. Create an Automation Rule. The example is below.
    Rule 1.png
  3. The Automation rule will update the % Done field when you change the status to "Done"

Let me know if you have any questions!

Best,
Hal

Marion Richardson June 9, 2022

Hi Hal, 

Amanda emailed me the above and I've got as far as the 'Then Edit Issue Field' I can find Progress, but not Progress (WBSGantt)? 

How do I do this please?

Thanks,

Marion

unnamed.png

Another question: Is this Automation rule set up needed for each project or can I set this at the 'Company-Managed' Admin level and then activate for the project I'm in?

Hikaru
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 9, 2022

Hello @Marion Richardson ,

Nice to meet you. I'm happy to help!

I've got as far as the 'Then Edit Issue Field' I can find Progress, but not Progress (WBSGantt)? 

Probably Progress field works. It could be any field because you need to manually choose which Jira custom field you use for Percent done field. Please check what field you are using beforehand.

Jira configuration > App > Under WBS GANTT-CHART, "Issue" 

スクリーンショット 2022-06-10 9.33.04.png

Is this Automation rule set up needed for each project or can I set this at the 'Company-Managed' Admin level and then activate for the project I'm in?

You can set up global automation rules for multiple projects if your Jira software plan is Premium. If not, then you need to set it up for each project.

スクリーンショット 2022-06-10 9.37.35.png

Marion Richardson June 10, 2022

Hi Hal, 

Thanks for your reply. From your screen shot to show Jira configuration > App > Under WBS GANTT-CHART, "Issue" mine has a blue box asking to Convert WBS-Gantt-Chart unique data. Should I do this?

Unfortunately the Automation rule for Progress Field doesn't work. 

Thank you for the tip on making automation rules Global. This works. 

Marion

Screen Shot 2022-06-10 at 09.26.53.png

Marion Richardson June 10, 2022

Hi again Hal,

My time zone is BST (UK, London) so I will logon later this evening to see if you have replied and if we can try to solve this, or alternatively may I ask if you're free for a Zoom call next week?

Many thanks,

Marion

Hikaru
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2022

Hello Marion,

Please use Jira custom field instead of the app's original field. Then you will be able to update the custom field via Jira automation. The documentation is below.

How to convert app's own data to Jira issue link/field

Let me know if you have any questions!

Marion Richardson June 13, 2022

Hello Hal, 

Many thanks, I will try this tomorrow morning (UK time) and get back to you if I still have questions. 

Many thanks,
Marion

Marion Richardson June 14, 2022

Hi Hal, 

I've not had any luck making the conversion work or the automation rule. It's not within my technical skills and very frustrating. I'd rather move away from Jira or find a Jira Admin expert that can set it up for me. How would I go about getting such a person? 

Many thanks,

Marion

Alessandro Portela Cristiano
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2022

Hello @Marion Richardson , @Amanda Green 

Thanks for your reply. My name is Alessandro and I will continue to assist you in this case since Hal is in a different timezone.

We will be more than happy to guide you on how to configure Automation For Jira to work with WBS Gantt Chart and the fields you have configured.

Please take a look at my Calendly Schedule and feel welcome to book a schedule that better suits your time.

We will be looking forward for you to get in touch, and, if you have any questions that you would like to address in this thread, please do keep them coming.

Cheers,
- Alessandro

Marion Richardson June 15, 2022

Hello Alessandro, 

Nice to hear from you again.

Many thanks for getting in touch. I have a number of questions and sent a Calendly request just now.

Thanks again.

Marion

Alessandro Portela Cristiano
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 15, 2022

Hi Marion,

Nice to talk to you again as well! :)

I have got your meeting request and will keep in touch.

All the best,
Alessandro C. | Support Engineer
Ricksoft Support Team

Marion Richardson June 20, 2022

@Ricksoft @Alessandro Portela Cristiano

Thank you for your time today to explain and teach me how to better use Jira and WBS-Gantt. The video call was most helpful and I look forward to some of your feature improvements when your Software Development team get a chance. 

Best wishes,

Marion 

0 votes
Ditte "Deetah" May 5, 2022

What are you using for the Gantt chart?  Structure, Advanced Roadmap, or something else?

Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2022

It looks like @Amanda Green  is using WBS Gantt Charts from @Ricksoft 😉 

Amanda: Welcome. I @mentioned the company that makes WBS Gantt charts. Stay tuned. 

-dave

Amanda Green May 6, 2022

@Ditte "Deetah" - apologies, I missed your comment yesterday.  Thanks, @Dave Rosenlund !

Hi, I work with Amanda and have raised this with @Ricksoft before but they couldn't offer a solution. I'm working my way through the automation rule (ie learning how to use it). Thanks for any tips/updates.

Marion Richardson June 20, 2022

@Ricksoft @Alessandro Portela Cristiano

Thank you for your time today to explain and teach me how to better use Jira and WBS-Gantt. The video call was most helpful and I look forward to some of your feature improvements when your Software Development team get a chance. 

Best wishes,

Marion 

Suggest an answer