Automatically move an issue to another project when marked as completed.

geabenitez January 5, 2018

I have 2 projects

1. Software Development
  2. Software Testing

Both projects relate to the same web application, the reason I have spplited them is because I want the developers only have development status available such as (to do, in development and ready for testing) and testers only have status related to their work (Ready for testing, in testing, back to development, and ready for deployment)

So what I need is to automatically whenever the developer marks the issue as ready for testing, this issue will be moved from project 1 to project 2 into the "ready for testing" column so the tester can perform its work., 

Is it possible? if so, how?

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

It is possible, but it's a lot of coding.

Projects can be configured in completely different ways, so moving an issue is fraught with potential problems.  Jira's "move" function checks for problems and asks users to fix them so as not to move issues and break them.  Your code would have to deal with all of that as well.

The description of what you're trying to do here smacks of a broken set up for your process.  If an issue is to go back and forth between testing and development, that should be handled in the workflow, not by jumping between projects.

You really need to incorporate the testing within the overall workflow and simply bin the testing project as it's a waste of time.

In the workflow, use conditions to prevent the wrong people using transitions (e.g. a condition like "only people in the role of tester can use the 'testing passed' transition"), and then use different boards for developers and testers.

Thank you very much for the quick answer.

I'll make some tests using you're advice. 

I figured out that using 2 projects will be a good idea because my developers are going to be making transitions using the IDE PhpStorm, so I just want the IDE to show the status related to them only. 

I'll try what you said and check how it looks on PhpStorm. 

I appreciate the help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2018

I assume PhpStorm will use the REST API to talk to Jira, which means it will still obey all the conditions you place on workflows.

Awesome. I'll test right now and let you know my findings. 

geabenitez January 9, 2018

Hello Nic, I was able to make the right configurations now. 

But I Have another question. 

I have 2 groups "Reporters" & "Developers", I want them both create issues.

I want developers be able to move from "to do" to "in progress" only if the issue is on a active sprint (because that means the issue was approved for development)

How can I perform this?

Thank you

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 9, 2018

Go to the permission scheme and make sure it includes the two groups in the "can create issue" permission.  I strongly recommend that you name a role in that permission in the scheme, and then go to each project and add both groups into the role.  (Bit more complex to set up, but minimises the number of schemes, and lets your project admins control access)

Your other need for developers to move in an active sprint is going to need code.  You'll need a workflow condition, but I can't think of a way to create one that can handle the "active sprint" without Script Runner or an add-on you write.

1 vote
Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 26, 2019

I've actually found a viable and easy solution to this:   I created a new screen that launches on state transition and on that screen is the Issue Type field.  When launched, I get the below text with a link to move the issue.

MoveIssue.png

Ann Kristin December 5, 2019

Nice! 

Where did you find the Move-link? Is there any "default" link, or do you get it from the issue with some logic? 

Laurie Sciutti
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2019

Hi Ann ~ the move link unexpectedly appeared automatically for me when I created the new screen and transition to launch the screen. 

Suggest an answer