Automatically create new sprints?

Curtis S October 21, 2013

Hello,

Is there a way to automatically create new sprints within JIRA Agile on an Atlassian OnDemand instance?

Details:

- We use week-long sprints that start at Monday morning and end Friday evening

- We plan our sprints several sprints ahead of time

- Only certain people have permissions to create new sprints

- We would like to automatically create new sprints periodically to avoid the situation where there are no new sprints because the only people with permissions forgot to create the new sprints

- I looked at using the JIRA REST API for this but it doesn't look like there is an API to create new sprints

Thanks,

Curtis

2 answers

1 vote
Bill Marten June 1, 2014

If you know your rapid-board id, then you can create a new unstarted sprint by calling a POST request with:

http://<JIRA-server>/rest/greenhopper/1.0/sprint/<rapid-board-id>

(with no data attached)

I'd still be interested in any way to generate a new unstarted sprint automatically on a trigger from within JIRA, e.g. on the Friday before the current Sprint ends.

0 votes
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2013
Curtis S October 21, 2013

I found that thread when I was doing googling about this issue, but when I read through that thread I encountered two issues: 1) that thread applies to JIRA 6.1.5, whereas we are using JIRA OnDemand v6.2.xxx; 2) the documentation that thread points to is not very clear about how to use the JIRA REST APIs, and most of the documentation that thread links to does not include the "sprint" REST API.

I looked through all of the JIRA OnDemand docs and none of them call out support for the "sprint" REST API.

Suggest an answer