Automatically close Parent Issue when ALL Sub-tasks are closed

cinzia February 5, 2021

Looking for assistance on creating an automation rule that would close parent issue when all sub-tasks are completed.  Thanks in advance.

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2021

Hello @cinzia 

You can try this with the Jira automate 
check this link for more understanding - https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/most-popular

Jira_Automate.png

Hope this is what you expected, Try this and do reply if its working.

Sudarshan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2021
Like # people like this
cinzia February 5, 2021

This worked out perfectly.  Thank you so much :-)

Like Sudarshan likes this
Alexey Paveliev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 28, 2021

Does this work when ALL issue's sub-tasks are done?

Like # people like this
Brent Thayer November 16, 2021

For me i needed to add one more condition: Sub-Task workflow.PNG

The status' in my case didnt match either so just an adjustment on the destination status for the Parent ticket. 

Vince Bartman September 8, 2023

This was very helpful, @Brent Thayer - Thank you!!

0 votes
Dave Collins August 2, 2022

I am looking for the same, a rule when that all the children are in status(category) Done. The rule that was accepted will update the status to Done when just one child is also marked done. 

0 votes
Dominic Peters July 22, 2022

I need this too but in my case if i mark one Sub-Task as "Done" the Parent goes to resolved and i dont know why :(. The parent should go to "Resolved" after ALL Sub-Tasks are marked as "Done"...

Brent Thayer July 25, 2022

I am not sure exactly what is the case for you but i would first start by making sure that you have the correct status' configured for Parent tickets. Make sure that you have a usable transition to that desired destination status as well. May be a good idea to make sure there isnt any other automation or post functions that are causing this behavior as well.  

Dave Collins August 2, 2022

That has got to be one of the craziest responses I've ever read. 

Brent Thayer August 3, 2022

I think i misunderstood the ask here. For that i apologize. If you are struggling to limit this transition to only when all subtasks are completed then please all ensure that you have the proper condition on the workflow transition. See screen shot:

Subtask Transition.PNG

Dominic Peters December 22, 2022

OMG sorry for my stupidness :x that was the finally fact that i forgot... I configured that in my WF, and now it all works fine. Many Thanks!

Like Brent Thayer likes this
Marc Isikoff April 4, 2023

Does this mean that we can use the automation above, and it will not close the parent story if not all the sub-tasks are closed?

Brent Thayer April 4, 2023

Yes that is correct. 

Suggest an answer