Automatically assign unassigned tasks when a user transitions the task

When a sub-task is unassigned in To Do and a user transitions it to In Progress, I would like the user to be automatically assigned to the sub-task. 

I only want this to happen for sut-tasks which are unassigned. 

Thank you, 

Brittany 

2 answers

0 votes

The best option is probably a post-function (maybe an  automation function too, although I'm not sure it can do this.  Or possibly a listener).  It will need to read the assignee, and if blank, set whichever user you need in there.

You can use Update on Transition plugin to achieve your requirement. You will need to add a post function from this plugin and mention the username which needs to be assigned to the subtask. 

There are many more features which you can explore.

Check out the plugin at https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/org.swift.jira.cw/server/overview

I'm trying to accomplish the same thing using "CLI Actions". I have set Condition 1 to %original_assignee% with a nil value (Exact). What is the syntax for Action to set the assignee to the current user? Thanks!

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,876 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot