Automatically assign sub-tasks based on Sub-Task Summary

Eman Yaseen May 21, 2024

I tried to assign my subtasks based on the summary of each subtask and used the way in the following link, but it didn't work, I don't know what exactly I did wrong.

Here is the Link: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Automatically-assign-sub-tasks-based-on-sub-task-title/qaq-p/2062076?utm_source=dm&utm_medium=unpaid-social&utm_campaign=P:online*O:community*I:social_share*

My Audit Log is showing the following:

Audit Log.png

My Rule:

Rule.png

1 answer

0 votes
Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2024

Hi @Eman Yaseen ,

What is the summary of IT-1708?

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2024

Note the re-fetch is not necessary and you might want to add an audit log with

Summary: {{issue.summary}}

To be able to debug

Eman Yaseen May 21, 2024

Hi,

so as I am still new to Jira I really don't understand exactly how to add an audit log to Summary: {{issue.summary}}

The Summary of the created subtask should be: Hardware bestellen

I have made a Rule to create automatic subtasks when creating an issue and each subtask has a specific summary and I want to automatically assign those subtasks to different assignees.

Eman Yaseen May 21, 2024

I think I'm also a little bit confused because I thought through this rule I am getting the summaries of the subtasks and not the summary of the original issue that has been created.

Rudy Holtkamp
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 21, 2024

Ok, so if I understand correctly you create the subtask via another rule. If that is the case, you should go to the rule details of this rule and there check the box: Check to allow other rule actions to trigger this rule. Only enable this if you need this rule to execute in response to another rule.

This will make sure that your new rule is going to be triggered by the other rule.

Like Eman Yaseen likes this
Eman Yaseen May 21, 2024

Exactly, so now I did what you said, but the Rule only checks one of the subtasks (the last one which was created through the other Rule) but don't apply the action.

Let me show you the Log:

Audit Log 1.png

IT-1881 is one of the subtask as mentioned before, and its Summary is: Übergabe ans Personal mit Zettel

Which I have added to my rule when I noticed that the rule is only executing this specific subtask, to test if it will perform the desired action.

I also removed the fetching action.

Here is the Rule again:

Rule.png

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 21, 2024

Hi @Rudy Holtkamp 

When using the Issue Created trigger, a Re-fetch Issue action is usually needed immediately after it to prevent racetrack / timing errors.  

This trigger can fire so quickly that the issue data is not yet complete, leading to unexpected behaviors from empty fields in the best case, and unusual errors in the worst case (e.g., unknown issue type, invalid status type, etc.).  This has been a known problem for automation rules for several years. 

The racetrack errors symptom may also occur for some issue edits and other actions associated with issue creation: set assignee, issue linking, and adding attachments.  It appears anything not covered by the issue creation REST API which requires additional function calls may create the timing problem.

Kind regards,
Bill

Like Eman Yaseen likes this

Suggest an answer