Automatically add Scrum Team of the Story into the sub-task

CK August 25, 2022

I want to create a Jira automation where the sub-tasks created under the story will automatically add Scrum Team of the Story into the sub-task

2 answers

0 votes
Nicolas Tagle
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 25, 2022

Hello CK,

For the rule on creation, assuming you are using a custom field would look something like this:

1.jpg

You can find the Custom field ID by going to the upper right Cog icon --> Issues --> Custom Field --> look for your field and click on the name.

2.jpg

The other rule is a almost the same but not on issue creation but on field update. BE specially careful to copy from parent issue  on the Action at the end:

3.jpg

And finally you can set an automation rule to run and bulk change all, but that can put some work on your instance. Let me know if this was helpul.

Regards,

Nico.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

You could create a new field for scrum-team (you can't reuse the old one, it won' work, you need a separate field), add that field to stories and sub-tasks and then have a script or automation that copies the stories scrum-team into it when the sub-tasks are created or the story's field is edited.

However, it's not that useful.  Sub-tasks are a part of their parent story, not individual issues.  The team of a sub-task is always the team the story belongs tobecause it is part of the story.

On top of that, sub-tasks appear on boards when their parent is on one, and as a board = a team, you can always infer the team from there.

CK August 25, 2022

Here is the scenario. I already have Scrum teams created and add them when i create a story. Now when i start adding sub-tasks to this story i need the scrum team to automatically populate to the sub-tasks created under this story

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

Yes, you said that before, I've explained already

CK August 25, 2022

any automation rule can you suggest as i am able to figure it out

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 25, 2022

The simplest solution is two rules.  As I said, a trigger of sub-task created, and the second triggered by the field on the parent being edited

Krishna Chaitanya Vitalapuram March 20, 2023

Above solutions did not work. i need to Assign Scrum team of Parent Story to tagged Sub-Tasks .. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 20, 2023

As we've already discussed, it doesn't work like that.  The solutions above are all you can do (and they do work, we use them regularly)

Suggest an answer