Automatically Log Issues working time

Martin Miodownik August 19, 2012

Hello,

I would like to have the time spent on issues logged automatically by the system. The way it should work is each time someone starts working on an issue the system starts counting and when they stop working on it it should stop counting and log the time. This for each time this happens for the issue. Finally when the issue is closed the total time should be logged as the time spent on the issue.

I know its possible that people log the time they have worked on each issue, but believe this should be easily done by the system automatically. How can this be done?

Thanks,

Martin

3 answers

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question

0 votes
Maciej Opala October 12, 2018

There is a new app on the Marketplace, Clockwork Automated Timesheets, that does exactly that. It fully integrates with Jira's workflow so that the time logged corresponds to how much time an issue was In Progress or had any other active status. If necessary, the timers can always be started or stopped manually by using convenient buttons. There are also reports available.

It all comes for free, together with highly responsive support which is keen on hearing any suggestions or feature requests.

You can find more information and screenshots on the app's page on the Marketplace.

Best regards,
Maciej from HeroCoders

0 votes
Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2014
William Rojas April 9, 2018

Fidel, 

In the How to do it section, Work Start Time is reference to have a field code of 10002.  But then in the Configuration of "Stop Progress" transition section, the example uses 10300 as the field code of the Work Start Time field.

Is this just a typo?  

Or is there some other translation of field codes that I am missing?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2012

You'll need to find or write some code to do this. A post-function or listener that traps the Start and Stop events and updates the work log automatically for your users.

However. You are using OnDemand, which doesn't allow you to install the code that this would need.

Martin Miodownik August 19, 2012

Thanks Nic for the answer. Do you know if its possible to be done with post-functions? Then I may try to do it, if I really need to write some listeners then maybe I give up.

Also could you please shoe me which functions I should be looking into?

Thanks

Petra Benkovska August 21, 2012

Hi Nic,

I have the same issue as Martin. We need to log the time spent automatically. We found this plugin - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.fca.jira.plugins.workflowToolbox.workflow-toolbox/version/50 to extends the functionality of post functions. However we did not manage to log the time so far.

If you could guide me which function to use, it would be a great help.

Thanks,

Petra

Fidel Castro
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2014

Comments for this post are closed

Community moderators have prevented the ability to post new answers.

Post a new question