Automatically Link Confluence Page to JIRA issue

Peter Yiu April 28, 2021

Hi,

I am trying to create an Organization (Customer) profile page on Confluence.

When a Issue is created by a customer in a certain Organization:

- I want to see if I can use 'Automate' to match the Organization with the Organization Profile page in confluence then 

- Link the Confluence page to the Issue automatically

This will assist with our support team tremendously if it is pre-populated.

Thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Mykenna Cepek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 29, 2021

Automation can certainly perform actions when an issue is created.

But to add a "link to a Confluence page" to an issue will require using the API. Automation rules provide an easy way to handle links between issues (e.g. "relates to", "blocks", etc). But I don't see an easy way to link from an issue to a Confluence page using Automation.

If you're not familiar with the Jira API, or using Automation to make REST calls, then you've got a non-trivial learning journey ahead of you (sorry!).

It also doesn't look like the Smart Values in Automation provide access to a user's Organization. Might be a good Product Suggestion to make to Atlassian.

In lieu of that, you might also want to learn how to set up and use User Properties (aka user Entity properties). That could allow you to look up the Organization for each user -- at the expense of setting that property manually, once for each user.

Assuming you're on-board with all that, then theoretically you could have a rule which:

• Triggers when an issue is created
  • Uses a Smart Value to look up the Organization (property/entity) for the user
  • Maps that Organization to a Confluence URL (series of conditionals?)
  • Call the Jira API to create the link-to-Confluence in the issue

Maybe someone can suggest something easier?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events