Automatically Email Group when Subtask Created

Jonathan Nogueira April 1, 2022

We are using a project in JSM for internal requests. These requests have different types (ex Decommission a Server) and we use an automation that creates subtasks for the request based on the Request Type and populates a custom field (Responsible Group) for each. 

We are ideally trying to have the users in the Responsible Group emailed when the subtask is created so they are aware they have tasks waiting for them without having to log into the agent view.

I was trying to use the email option within global automation, but it is referencing the Responsible Group field on the top level request instead of the subtask. and failing.

Does anyone know of a way to automatically email users in a group defined in a custom field on a subtask? Would this require a third party add-on?\

Thanks!

Jonathan

2 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2022

Hi @Jonathan Nogueira 

You note using automation, and I wonder if you mean an Automation for Jira rule.

If so, when you create the subtask in the rule, you could Branch on the Most Recently Created Issue and your email send could reference the fields in the subtask.

Kind regards,
Bill

Jonathan Nogueira April 4, 2022

Thank you for your response Bill! I tried using branching and I was getting the error that the field I was using for my to address is blank which it is not. We have a custom field, Responsible Group, that is populated on our sub tasks but not our top level issue, and the automations seem to only be looking at the top level issue regardless of what options I picked when branching.

Thanks!

Jonathan

Disregard my last comment. Out groups that we were using in the Sandbox were all empty which was what was causing our issue!

Thanks again for your help!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
1 vote
Answer accepted
Ivan Lima
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2022

There are a few ways you can do this. One option, for example, you can create a custom event, add your custom field group to the notification scheme/custom event, and fire it as a post-function (issue created) for your subtask workflow.

Thanks for the tip Ivan. To be more clear I have been using JSM for about 2 months now. 

We are using an automation to create subtasks for an issue when one is created with a particular type. Screenshot of our test version of that:

Auto 1.PNG

I then made a second automation that runs when a subtask is created and while that is firing correctly it is saying the field is empty (that we have selected as the to address for the email) which it isn't.

Ideally we want the responsible group (custom field) on the sub task to be notified the sub task was created. The responsible group on the sub task is populated during our first automation. It seems this second automation when sending an email is looking at the top level issue perhaps? Since that Responsible Group field is not populated. 

Auto 23.PNG

Any help you can suggest would be greatly appreciated!

-Jonathan

Mashiur Rahman September 14, 2022

I am also looking for same functionality.

Suggest an answer