Automatic status change of Kanban board project tickets

Gbadebo Ogunleye May 26, 2022

All,

I need help to prevent my tickets in Kanban board projects from automatically changing status and moving from one column to another. 

I noticed that some tickets automatically moved from "work in progress column" to "completed column". This is causing serious confusion with ticket tracking.

Appreciate the support. 

1 answer

0 votes
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2022

Hi @Gbadebo Ogunleye,

Tickets can only move automatically through the statuses of a workflow if this has been configured as such. There may be several ways this could be inflicted:

• there may be a post-function in the workflow of the tickets to automatically transition issues to done if certain conditions are met. Check the workflow of the impacted issues and verify if there is a post-function configured on the transition that goes towards the In Progress status.
  • the status of your issues may be updated from the workflow of linked issues. This can only be the case if there are issues linked to the issues that seem to close automatically.
  • if you have Automation for Jira on your instance, there may be an automation rule that is updating the status of your issues. If so, check your automation rules and make sure that they are not responsible for the unwanted behaviour.
  • if you have any scripting apps on your instance, a script might be responsible for the updates.

To narrow down on what is happening, start by looking into the issue history of an issue that has been updated: just open such an issue, scroll down to the bottom of the screen and check out the history tab. Locate the entry that shows when the issue status was changed to done, who was the transition author and start your investigation there.

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer