Automatic field updates

Sharon Morris March 29, 2023

I want to do an automated mass update to change the project name and project number in JIRA.  How do I do that?  I know it can be done because someone did it for me in the past.  I just don't recall what the process was. 

Where project number = **** update with project number = ***

same with project name - something like that

2 answers

0 votes
Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2023

Hi @Sharon Morris , 

I think it would be simpler to just change the project name and project key in the project settings. 

Screenshot 2023-03-29 200827.png

Can you clarify what hosting type you're using? (Cloud or on-Prem/Server) as well as what you mean by mass update? 

Looking forward to hearing from you. 

Kind Regards, 

Ash 

Sharon Morris March 29, 2023

i mean not having to go into each jira associated with the project and change them one by one -

also forgot to mention  - only want to change the project name and number on tickets that are in an open status, not those that have been closed completed done cancelled - i want those to keep the project number they have

Ash Yadav - VMotion IT Solutions
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 29, 2023

Hi Sharon, 

So for the first part, you'll have to manually perform those changes unless you're using a a script, there is a similar thread here using Groovy: 

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/How-to-bulk-rename-jira-projects-using-groovy-script/qaq-p/1463594

However I'm not sure why you'd want to change the names in bulk so if you could elaborate on what you're trying to achieve it might help me (and the rest of the community) to understand it better. 

Second part, you can't just change the project name and number on tickets that are only in open status, a name change and key change will apply to all issues in the project. 

Again there are many possibilities to achieve what you're looking for but without knowing your hosting type, Jira permissions etc, it may be difficult to advise properly. 

Hope this helps. 

Kind Regards, 

Ash 

0 votes
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2023

Hi @Sharon Morris 

If you are Jira admin, you can simply change the project name & key. Please take a look at Edit a project's details page.

What do you mean by mass update? Do you want to change all project details at once?

Suggest an answer