Automatic change of status when receiving a second task, with the same status for tasks in Jira

Anton Shiroky April 17, 2020

Hi,

Please help me.

How to automatic change status "In develop" to "On hold", when the developer puts the second task into status "In develop" ?

More details:

1. Developer takes a task to development and change status to "In develop" for task-1

2. Developer or PM takes a second task and change status to "In develop" for task-2

3. Automatic change status for task-1 "On hold" for this Developer

How it made in Jira Cloud?

3 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2020

Hi Anton - You can certainly do this with Automation for Jira. Are task 1 and task 2 linked in any way? The rule would have to know which issue to update. 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 17, 2020

So if a task moves to In Develop - then you want all other tasks assigned to that same Developer to move to On Hold. Is that correct?

Yes, it is correct

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

Here is the link to the Automation For Jira documentation to help you get started. Give it a try and then post back here when you have questions. Let us know how it goes!

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/automate-your-jira-cloud-processes-and-workflows/

How to find out the user and his tasks in the status "In develop" in the request for the automation rule?
How to handle the found task correctly?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

Assignee transition.png

Try something like the above except use In Develop instead of Develop Underway in my example (I don't have the In Develop status). And use On Hold instead of Blocked (I don't use the On Hold status either). 

The For JQL is a Branch Rule.

@John Funk 

Thanks for the example. I did almost the same, but with extra checks.
I will try further.

1 vote
Mohamed Benziane
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 17, 2020

Hello @Anton Shiroky 

For this requirement you will need some add on like automation

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/guides/expand-jira/automation

If you already have it let me know i will be hapy to find a rule that suit your requirement.

Hope this helps

@Mohamed Benziane 

Please help find a rule for my requirements.

0 votes

Hi @John Funk
No, tasks are not related. They have only a common designated person and pass into one status. Tasks in one project.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events