Automatic Assignee not getting notification emails

We have a strange one at the moment where emails are not being generated for the automatic assignees of a particular project.

The notification scheme is definitely set to notify the assignee on creation.

3 answers

1 accepted

Thanks for the replies.

This was caused by the assignee not having the necessary permissions to view the Issue which means that JIRA won't send them an email. The default assignee in this case was a virtual group email alias and a manager was "tighening" up security and went a bit too far and removed the necessary permissions for all such virtual users.

2 votes

Do the default reporter and assignee happen to be the same user? In this case, notifications might get blocked by the "Do not notify me" value under the users profile option "My Changes" (click avatar in top right > Profile > Preferences)

To add to Mick's answer, this notification setting can also be set globally. Under Administration > User Preferences (or type 'gg' then in the popup box type 'User preferences') set the "Notify users of their own changes" to YES.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

243 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you