Automate routing one subtask to the next

Dawn Criswell May 8, 2024

One story has many subtasks that need to be completed in a particular order.

How do I automate when one subtask is complete, it will automatically assign the next subtask to the next assignee?

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2024

Hi Dawn - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

How are you determining the order of the sub-tasks? How would it know when one is next? Maybe by Due Date? 

They're numbered currently. Is there an easier way?

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 21, 2024

Okay then, you can add some IT/ELSE conditions to check if the Summary contains #1 or #2 or #3, etc. 

0 votes
Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2024

@Dawn Criswell , Welcome to community!

May be you could create the next subtask through automation when a sub task goes to complete status?

Thanks but not aware of how to do that. Are you suggesting to manually create subtask?

My scenario:

User story

• subtask #1 
  • subtask #2
  • subtask #3

Subtask #1 complete

Go to subtask #2, including placing subtask with same or different assignee

Subtask #2 complete

Go to subtask #3, including placing subtask with same or different assignee

(moves to diff assignees until last subtask is complete)

Story marked complete

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 8, 2024

If there is a way to identify the existing second subtask in the automation configuration (may be the subtask 2 is a specific issue type), then this would work.

The approach i originally suggested was to create the subtask 2 with the necessary fields as per your process when the subtask 1 gets resolved. and so on..

Dawn Criswell May 9, 2024

Thanks! I have added each subtask as a label (such as 1. 2. etc.). I am not an expert, but I know there is a way to do this. Can you help me create the JQL statement? TIA!

Fazila Ashraf
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 9, 2024

@Dawn Criswell , if you want to automate with this label logic, you can make an automation like below

Screenshot 2024-05-10 at 08.22.44.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events