Autoassign not working

Deborah Ciampá August 15, 2022

Hi, I am using the Jira automation to assign an issue when created to a specfic person based on the country selected by the reporter. However, the automation is not working, and I am always the assignee. 

Same issue, I am also always the reporter, even if someone else created the issue.

All issues are created via Slack, but also there I put all the correct settings.

Does anyone know what the issue could be? Not sure if I am missing any setting where I am the default assignee. 

Thanks a lot!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2022

Hi @Deborah Ciampá , welcome to the Community.

Would it be possible to share your rule and also the log where the rule fails? Finally are you the Project lead and if so is assignment defaulted to the project lead? Look at project settings > Details. Finally can you check the History of a new issue created where these assignments are undesirable? I am interested if there is any clue as to who/what might be making the assignment to you.

Hi Jack, thanks a lot for the quick answer!

Regarding the default assignee, no I had already checked that, and it's not assigned (I'm also not the project lead).

Regarding the history, the assignment automation doesn't appear in the history at all, but another automation related to the due date works instead.

I didn't know I could check the log, thanks! I see that it says that the ticket commops-9 doesn't meet the conditions. However, the reporter selected France as country when creating the ticket, so still unaware of what the problem might be.

How can I share the rule with an external party? Here some screenshots in the meanwhile.

Screenshot 2022-08-15 at 18.00.43.pngScreenshot 2022-08-15 at 18.03.24.pngScreenshot 2022-08-15 at 18.03.33.png

I think there is an issue with the Slack workflow builder, because the ticket history says "Deborah Ciampá created the Issue", while actually a different person reported the issue. However, also there, I put Person who submitted the form as Reporter (which was not me) so not sure where the problem lies.

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 15, 2022

Hi Deborah, the screenshots are fine and that's what I was looking for so thanks for that. One question and one request. What type of field is country? Could you edit your rule and add a Log action Recording the country? You can place this as the first component after your trigger. I just want to ensure that the value is indeed "France".

2022-08-15_13-09-48.jpg

One final question, what happens if you manually create an issue within the application instead of via slack?

Deborah Ciampá August 16, 2022

Hi Jack, yes indeed the automation worked directly from Jira. I added the re-fatch action how suggested from Bill, and it works now also from Slack.

Thanks a lot again for the help on this!

Like Jack Brickey likes this
2 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2022

Hi @Deborah Ciampá 

This could be a timing problem (i.e. racetrack error).  The Issue Created trigger can fire before all of the data is available for an issue...and so your conditions fail in the rule because the Country is empty.

The work-around for this symptom is to add a Re-fetch action immediately after your trigger.  This will slow down the rule, reloading the issue data, before running the condition check.

Kind regards,
Bill

Deborah Ciampá August 16, 2022

Hi Bill, thanks a lot for the suggestion, I see that the automation is working now!

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events