Auto refresh of issues when the status is changed by Listeners

I need to refresh the issue automatically ,when status of the issue has been changed automatically by the listeners.Currently , we need to refresh the issue to get the new status in the issue.

1 answer

0 votes

Er, how do you expect a client browser to know when information has been updated on a server?

Think about this carefully - Jira has a load of information that it shows to a user who asks "show me this page". If you want an "automatic" update, then somehow, you need the *Server* to tell all the *clients* that something is out of date and that there is new information. That is NOT how browsers work.

In fact, to make this work, you actually need to re-write the browser.

The best you can do is embed a "refresh after a while" instruction in the web page being served. This is generally bad practice though, as you impose a mostly pointless load on client and server just to check IF something has changed.

Actually , what we thought was like , we have a field , and in its description add a javascript function which reloads the page , but then we thought this would happen unnecesarily , even there is no change in the status. Anyways , thank you very much for your reply.

Yes, javascript is a very good way to do it, you're spot on there. It is a sticky problem because of the basic question - how does the client know that data on the server has changed? Exactly as you say, the only way to do it is "unnecessarily" poll the server regularly. That feels wrong to me, but I can't think of a work-around.

Confluence already does this, so why could JIRA not do the same?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,950 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot