Auto generate Sub-task label from Task's label

Nasim Afzali
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 15, 2023

I want to use the automation rule to generate a subtask label that includes the parent task's label followed by a dot and the subtask's number. For example, if the parent task's label is "1.2.3" and the subtask is the first subtask created under that parent task, the subtask's label will be "1.2.3.1". If the subtask is the second subtask created under the same parent task, its label will be "1.2.3.2", and so on.

I used automation rules and smart value as below but got an error.

image.png

Would you please guide me in this regard?

Thanks,

Nasim

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nasim Afzali
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 15, 2023

I used this smart value and it worked properly.

{{issue.parent.fields.labels}}.{{issue.parent.fields.subtasks.size}}

The first part represents the parent task's label and the second part represents the number of subtasks currently associated with the parent task. It dynamically generates a number based on the count of subtasks. For example, if the parent task has 3 subtasks, the value would be "3".

Danny
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 3, 2023

Hi @Nasim Afzali

I have been unable to replicate this entirely. I can replicate the parent label and period, ".", but not the 'size' part to create essentially a WBS on the child issue. Are you able to provide further steps to clarify if it is something I am missing?

Thanks,

Danny

Suggest an answer