Auto create subtasks in OnDemand environment?

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 20, 2012

I've seen several plugins that provide support for a common business need - auto create subtasks upon creation of a specific issue type. However, I have yet to see anything that provides support for OnDemand users.

Is there something that I can do as an OnDemand admin to auto create a subtask as a post function? I see abilities to edit parent issues/parent fields-- but, nothing about creating a subtask.

If there is no support, when might Atlassian offer this exteremely important feature for their OnDemand clients? Currently, one of the reasons I cannot get managers to buy in is that they have to manually know what subtasks to create and automatically create them -- not as easy as copy/paste in or other options where you have this choice...and, given that there seem to be several plugins that offer this, it wouldn't necessarily require Atlassian to do a significant amount of work or investment -- they would need to certify the desired plugin and provide it as an option.

12 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

kalynn is correct; we were also shifted to the OnDemand platform and have found it unsatisfactory. It's hindered our progress, impacted our efficiency, and the lack of flexibility and automation tools are making us rethink whether we want to stay with the platform. In addition to the trigger/action mechanism, things as simple as not being able to modify the subject line on the automated emails have had a significant impact on the way we use JIRA.

I've been using the REST API to re-engineer our automated processes, but there are some tasks it just can't perform. We may have to take somebody off of a project just to do the manual process of pushing JIRA issues to the right place. It is an unnecessary challenge to continue to work using the platform the way it is.

1 vote
Earl McCutcheon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 21, 2016

As this is an older post, For anyone who comes across this, The subtask manager add-on (now avaliable in Cloud) may be of use to you for this scenario, it is a subtask generator that can be used to deploy a subset of subtasks quickly from a preconfigured template, Still a manual process but much quicker than creating sub-tasks one at a time as would be the current process:

Also the Developers of Script Runner (Adaptavist) are currently working on a cloud version of script runner, details on this can be found in the comment section of this feature request:

Mark McCormack [Adaptavist] added a comment - 27/Nov/2015 6:01 AM

Just a brief update: Adaptavist are working on a ScirptRunner for JIRA Cloud version. It is still several months away but I just wanted to let you know it is being worked on. We'll keep you posted.

regards,
M

warning NOTE the Feature request is Closed out as "Won't Do", but this is because the request is speciffically for bundling of the plugin in cloud, not the development from Adaptavist as covered in the comments of the feature request.  There is currently no information on an ETA

1 vote
Sabyasachi Dalal March 29, 2015

Hello Folks,

Question to people who posted this question - What workaround did you adopt, to solve the lack of provision to auto create a sub-task ?

I too have the same requirement, and asking users to manually create sub-tasks does not seem to be a solution which will pass.

Thank you.

1 vote
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2012

I think the main problem is that you can't install plugins on the OnDemand version.

Like I commented in this question, I think there are a lot of plugins that should be integrated to the OnDemand version. It would help people a lot.

That's way I prefer the Download Version, it's much more customizable... But the question is what happens to customers that prefer OD version?

0 votes
Norbert Bede April 12, 2014

same here. norbert

0 votes
was aeronaves March 23, 2014

Does anybody know where can we fill this feature request to Atlassian? This is a MUST HAVE and should all vote for this otherwise it won't be done.

0 votes
Ruth Jeter February 17, 2014

does anyone if they will create a plugin for this request.. I just want to be able to autogenerated a subtask(s) on a transition

0 votes
Eugene van der Merwe January 30, 2014

Same here, we are unable to streamline the creation of subtasks due to lack of functionality in ondemand, and inability to install plugins.

0 votes
kimberly anderson January 28, 2014

I am interesting in auto creating sub tasks based on a field value too.
Any progress?

Thank you.

0 votes
Nicole Lesko May 29, 2013

Agreed - has there been any progress on this or is there a dummy's guide to auto-creating subtasks based on issue type (for OnDemand)?

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2012

I think the way they would like you to go is using the remote API. If not now, I'm sure at some point they will add the ability to post a JSON packet on a transition (like github webhooks). Then you write your own app that can receive that, then create the subtasks using the REST API.

Massive overkill? Yes probably, but you can understand why they want the bare minimum of plugins.

Right now you can do it by polling for new issues every few minutes (highly unsatisfactory).

Karie Kelly
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 20, 2012

Unfortunately, we chose the OnDemand route for now because of not having all of the engr resources to invest in the solution. But, it seems like a common business need -- even if they didn't want to have a plugin, to incorporate the solution into the product vs supporting a third party plugin.

I'm in a catch 22 -- I cannot show value to invest to bring it onsite because many features are lacking that are needed in OnDemand. But, remaining as an OnDemand client, I cannot get buyin from other depts to use the product because of the limitations.

As an admin of the OnPremise solution for several years, it's been a struggle for me, and a frustrating experience, to work as the admin of the OnDemand solution and being in a position to show value when there are so many limitations and I'm the only one that can be used to provide such support.

Suggest an answer