Auto-assign to certain user based on Component?

Jenni Järvinen October 3, 2019

Hi,

how would I do the following?

I want to auto-assign ticket to a certain person based on what's on the component field.

Let's say I have components 1-4 and people A-D. For sake of clarity, person 1 is responsible for component A, person 2 for component B... and so on.

I would like my workflow to take into account that when ticket hits certain status, say "Ready for review" and Component field has "B", it would automatically get assigned to person 2. If component field has "D", it would get automatically assigned to person 4... and so on.

I haven't found any clear documentation about this, so I'm not sure how to proceed. Apparently it's related to the transition parameters in the workflow?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jenni Järvinen May 1, 2020

Just wanted to confirm that with Automation for Jira, this has been now resolved.

Brock Jolet September 6, 2022

I had an Automation rule that did this successfully by updating the Assignee to Automatic. For some reason, it stopped working, and now, each time it runs, I see the following error:

Edit issue
Inactive user
No fields or field values to edit for issues (could be due to some field values not existing in a given project):

None of the Component leads are inactive.
Brock Jolet September 6, 2022

I ended up using a web request to pull the component lead via Rest API. Then I used a smart value to assign it.

josephine September 9, 2022

@Brock Jolet this is happening to me too - did you raise a support ticket with atlassian for it?

Like Brock Jolet likes this
Brock Jolet September 13, 2022

@josephine I do not have an open ticket with Atlassian for this issue since I found a workaround. Please let me know if you open one as I would like to follow it.

0 votes
Deleted user October 3, 2019

Hi @Jenni Järvinen ,

Create each component with Component lead as A, B, C, D etc and In the workflow , for required transition add a post function - Assign the issue to the lead developer which helps to auto-assign issue based on component value and lead.

Regards,
Kishore Kumar Gangavath.

Jenni Järvinen October 3, 2019

Hi,

I'm looking for more general answer. What if the attribute is not Component, but something else, like custom field? Then component lead would not fit in that case.

What kind of post function should be used?

Deleted user October 3, 2019

Hi @Jenni Järvinen ,

To achieve this you need to use the 3rd party apps. 

1) Create a scripted post function that will set an assignee depending on your custom field value. This will require a 3rd party addon like ScriptRunner for Jira or Jira Misc Workflow Extensions (JMWE) .

2) Create an automation rule that will trigger when your issue is transitioned and set an assignee based on your custom field value. Automation for Jira is required for this approach.

Regards,
Kishore Kumar Gangavath.

Suggest an answer