Auto-Create and Close Projects

Jonathan Dramond August 13, 2014

Hi All,

I was wondering if it is possible to enable some automation within Jira to automatically create & close Projects?

Certain services for our company run on a monthly basis, therfore they expire at the end of each month, and restart again on the 1st of the following month.

If there was a way to automate this, and take out the manual admin, it would be an ideal solution for us.

Any feedback or tips on how this could be achieved will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Jonathan

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 13, 2014

Creating projects automatically can be done with scripting or plugins (example - I've just helped set up a "project register" project - user creates an issue in there, a script creates their project for them after a bit of validation).

The questions you need to think about are:

What is going to trigger the creation of Projects?

What do you mean by "close a project"?

And probably the hardest one - how? I've mentioned scripting and plugins, but you don't have those options OnDemand, and I don't think there's anything you can install to do anything with project creation (let alone "close" whatever that turns out to be)

Jonathan Dramond August 13, 2014

Hi Nic - thanks for the quick response. Apologies, we have the Download version of Jira rather than OnDemand.

1 - we are looking for a new project to be created on the 1st of each month called "Critical Support" followed by "- [Month, Year]".

2 - By "close a project" I meant to prevent any further issues being created within that project (i.e. Critical Support - August 2014). We are more interested in the monthly creation however.

3 - Are there any recommended plugins available?

Thanks

Jonathan

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2014

I'd do this with the script runner. Although you'd need something to trigger the scripts at the right times, you can script "project create" and "change permission scheme to a read-only one" for the "close project" bit.

Jonathan Dramond August 14, 2014

Great, thanks for the advice Nic.

0 votes
Nawaaz SOHAWON November 23, 2020

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- ,

Hope you are doing well.

Can you please provide an example of how you performed the below? This is actually what I am trying to achieve on my JIRA CLOUD:

Creating projects automatically can be done with scripting or plugins (example - I've just helped set up a "project register" project - user creates an issue in there, a script creates their project for them after a bit of validation).

Regards,

Nawaaz

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 26, 2020

This is almost a pre-Cloud question, but at the moment, I'm not really seeing Cloud support scripted project creation.  The REST APIs are not there yet.

Suggest an answer