Auto Assign a user based on Epic

Ruslan Nikolaev March 16, 2020

I'm using the next-gen project in the free-tier of Jira and want to copy properties, such as the assignee, from the Epic. I create my issues by pressing "Add a child issue" for an Epic in the Roadmap View.

I'm trying Jira automation. My manual automation works (when I trigger it with a press of a button) but automatic doesn't work (when it's triggered upon issue creation)

Can someone help, please?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2020

Hello @Ruslan Nikolaev and welcome to the community.

Can you post a screenshot of your automation creation so we can see how its set up? Is the automation failing to run?

Here are my automated workflow schreenshotsautomation rule.pngCompleted_check.png

I'm very confident that the rule gets triggered. It looks like it's missing data when the creation of the issue happens. Because in the audit log, it says that data for required fields are missing. See in the screenshot below.

audit_log.png

Moreover, I made a copy of this rule and changed it to be triggered manually and it works.

Manual Rule.png

It sounds to me like the issue created trigger runs before the epic issue is assigned to a newly created issue. This is either a bug, or it's just confusing that the trigger is called "issue created" and it has "copy from Epic/Parent" rules and yet those have not been set yet when the rule runs.

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 16, 2020

I notice that on the manual trigger automation you are copying the data from the Parent issue and on the auto trigger one you are copying from mutiple sources. Have you tried changing the automated rule to copy from the parent issue?

Ah, yes that’s an old screenshot. I was debugging all the different places where I can copy from. I did try to set it to copy from parent issue and it didn’t work.

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2020

Im assuming the Epic already exists when the issue is created, right?

It sounds like you have it right, its just a matter of timing. Wonder if the trigger can be Field Value Changed and set the field to be Epic Link. That way we know for sure the link to the epic is already there.

It sounds you have it configure correctly though.

Yeah epic already exists.

There is no epic link, only epic name. And I’ve tried that already as well with no success

edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 16, 2020

After too much testing :-D, I think I figured it out. I was getting the same issues you had until I added the Re-fetch issue data. See if this works for you.

refetch.png

Like Ruslan Nikolaev likes this
edwin vasquez
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 18, 2020

Did this end up working for you?

Like Jack Sykstus likes this
Ruslan Nikolaev March 18, 2020

Yes, it ended up working, thanks a lot. It’s still confusing to me that the issues needs to be refetched - bad UX.

Like # people like this
0 votes
Jack Sykstus June 2, 2021

@edwin vasquez worked for me as well, super helpful but also a weird fix haha.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer