Auto Assign Sprint

Antonio Smith April 9, 2021

I know the use case I'm about to share is not in line with pm methodology but it's currently working for our organization. This allows us to track issues in Kanban view. 

We have an open ended support sprint and all issues with issue type of 'support' have to be manually added to the support sprint as they are created.

I created a post function on the create transition to update sprint and added the sprint number and tested and this didn't work. Did I follow the right steps?

I am happy to hear of other ways companies manage their support queues that could work for our org.

Thanks in advance

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Antonio Smith April 13, 2021

I manage to resolve this myself, I may have ordered the post functions incorrectly the first time around.

Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 13, 2021

I'm glad to hear!

1 vote
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 9, 2021

Hi Antonio,

I'm curious: if you use kanban, why do you need to create sprints instead of using a kanban board?

Antonio Smith April 10, 2021

Hey Carlos, we've always used a sprint for tracking support issues but didn't realise we could have the same Kanban board without a sprint. Tell me more...

Doesn't this mean all support issues would be in the backlog until resolved?

There also isn't a kanban board view for backlog items.

Let me know if my understanding is off.

Clark Everson
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2021

Hi Antonio,

Sprints and Kanban are two methodologies of AGILE work. I will try to sum up the basics but I would highly recommend taking a course on it...Atlassian even offers one: https://training.atlassian.com/jira-essentials-agile-mindset

Sprints work by the ideas that every Sprint you plan x amount of work. The x is the number your team can accomplish per week determined by story points. Usually when teams start out, they struggle with story points and how many they can actually complete in the given time frame (sprints tend to be 2 weeks, but some teams do 1 week, some do 4 etc etc). It's okay to while learning not accurately predict story points, the goal of sprints is that the team gets better and figuring out how much they can do at a given time. It is not meant to say people aren't doing enough work, but how to help the team more accurately figure out what they can do and where they may need help. This is where Sprint Burndown charts and retrospectives come in, to see how to improve

Kanban works on the principle of always having work to do. You have a backlog, and as you create new issues they always go to the backlog. Someone organizes the backlog by priority, highest at the top lowest at the bottom. As work is completed on the Kanban board, the individuals working on the issues would pull an issue from the backlog to the in progress column on their board, based on the preexisting backlog priority. As such, there is no set time frame for how often x number of issues should be completed. However, due to this, there should always be a flow of issues in the backlog. As ones get closed, new ones should get added. Think of a store, when you buy a product off the shelf, a product gets restocked. This is where a diagram like cumulative flow comes in, it shows that work is constantly being added and that its efficiently being closed over time.

Hope this helps, this si a really simple explanation to a really complex work management practice, so I really do recommend watching some Agile videos of some kind, as no forum could really do it justice.

Best,

Clark

Like Carlos Garcia Navarro likes this
Carlos Garcia Navarro
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 10, 2021

Great overview, @Clark Everson !

@Antonio Smith, you can have a backlog in your kanban board as described here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-your-kanban-backlog/

When you create a board, you can select the type (scrum or kanban), and in the case of kanban you can activate a backlog:

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 11.20.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 11.21.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 11.22.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-04-10 at 11.22.27 PM.png

0 votes
Antonio Smith April 11, 2021

I am a Project Manager so didn't require an explanation on the methodologies but asking how to solve a problem for my org. Thanks though @Clark Everson 

@Carlos Garcia Navarro we only use the Backlog for project work. Change Request, new features etc.

A support issue in our org is an issue with a particular feature or release or bug which are all worked on as they come in. It does not need to be selected for a sprint, it's automatically associated with the 'Support' sprint.

I am just looking for a way to automatically assign that sprint to all issues that come in where the Issue Type is "Support".

I guess this is what Service Desk is for but we don't have that product so trying to achieve this using Jira Software.

Thanks

Suggest an answer