AuthenticationFailedException: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)

Simon Williams October 2, 2017

We've noticed our email haven't been coming into our JIRA Cloud instance. I first of all checked the POP / IMAP Mail server we have setup to suck emails out of our GMail host using the 'Test Connection' button. It however failed with the 'AuthenticationFailedException: [AUTHENTICATIONFAILED] Invalid credentials (Failure)' error (see below).

I then thought someone must have changed the password so I logged in to the GMail website using the credentials but that was OK and let me in. 

I tried entering the password into the JIRA form again clicking 'Update' to save it regardless of the failed test connection but the emails remained unread in the inbox.

I followed the instructions I found on https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/authenticationfailedexception-when-connecting-to-gmail-as-smtp-server-744723578.html but the account does not have 2 factor authentication and it does have "less secure access" enabled under the account.

Is there any way to further find out a more specific error, is this happening for other people or does it just impact our JIRA <--> GMail connection? It is difficult to tell which side of the interface is the problem.

Any help would be appreciated.image.png

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2017

Hi Simon,

If you are on Jira Server, were you able to get any further details from the Jira logs? 

Google also suggestions going to display unlock Captcha if those steps you already tried don't work.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Simon Williams October 3, 2017

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your suggestions, we're on on cloud hosting and I did try the 'display unlock Captcha' too.

We did get a burst of emails though yesterday, including many, many, many duplicates from single emails, but trying the test button now it still tells me that authentication failed.

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 3, 2017

Simon,

What if you change the username to the full email? Google suggests that here: Read Gmail messages on other email clients using IMAP

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Bingo!

Good find Shannon, worked a treat! Thanks for your help

(I've accepted the answer but it was the comment under the answer that was the solution)

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
October 3, 2017

Great :) Glad I could help.

No worries, the thread isn't too long so it should still help others in the future.

Take care and Kind Regards,
Shannon

Khuong Vu April 29, 2019

@Shannon S  The link above (dated Oct 3, 2017) is useful for me.  Particularly, the troubleshooting section (step 2) in the link says "Allow less secure apps: If you don't use 2-Step Verification, you might need to allow less secure apps to access your account".  I follow the step and it works.

2019-04-29_17-05-31.png

Thank you.

Like # people like this
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
April 30, 2019

Hi Khuong,

Happy to hear that it helped you! Thank you for the feedback.

Regards,

Shannon

Ananias Gutierrez September 14, 2022

Funciona buen aporte Lo máximo

0 votes
sanoop raj p s August 2, 2019

After enabling the less secure app access in gmail, I am getting an error that "Please login via web browser". Is there any other options I need to change?

'''

Connecting to the mailbox...
Error : javax.mail.AuthenticationFailedException: [ALERT] Please log in via your web browser: https://support.google.com/mail/accounts/answer/78754 (Failure)
at com.sun.mail.imap.IMAPStore.protocolConnect(IMAPStore.java:660)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:295)
at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:176)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.pollmailboxtrigger.mail.MailReader.connect(MailReader.java:58)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.pollmailboxtrigger.PollMailboxTrigger.checkForEmails(PollMailboxTrigger.java:238)
at org.jenkinsci.plugins.pollmailboxtrigger.PollMailboxTrigger$PollMailboxTriggerDescriptor.doTestConnection(PollMailboxTrigger.java:584)
at java.lang.invoke.MethodHandle.invokeWithArguments(MethodHandle.java:627)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.Function$MethodFunction.invoke(Function.java:396)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.Function$InstanceFunction.invoke(Function.java:408)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.Function.bindAndInvoke(Function.java:212)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.Function.bindAndInvokeAndServeResponse(Function.java:145)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.MetaClass$11.doDispatch(MetaClass.java:535)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.NameBasedDispatcher.dispatch(NameBasedDispatcher.java:58)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.tryInvoke(Stapler.java:747)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.invoke(Stapler.java:878)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.MetaClass$4.doDispatch(MetaClass.java:280)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.NameBasedDispatcher.dispatch(NameBasedDispatcher.java:58)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.MetaClass$4.doDispatch(MetaClass.java:280)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.invoke(Stapler.java:676)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.Stapler.service(Stapler.java:238)
at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:790)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:873)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1623)
at hudson.util.PluginServletFilter$1.doFilter(PluginServletFilter.java:154)
at javax.servlet.FilterChain$doFilter$0.call(Unknown Source)
at com.ceilfors.jenkins.plugins.jiratrigger.ExceptionLoggingFilter.doFilter(ExceptionLoggingFilter.groovy:29)
at hudson.util.PluginServletFilter$1.doFilter(PluginServletFilter.java:151)
at jenkins.telemetry.impl.UserLanguages$AcceptLanguageFilter.doFilter(UserLanguages.java:128)
at hudson.util.PluginServletFilter$1.doFilter(PluginServletFilter.java:151)
at hudson.util.PluginServletFilter.doFilter(PluginServletFilter.java:157)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1610)
at hudson.security.csrf.CrumbFilter.doFilter(CrumbFilter.java:99)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler$CachedChain.doFilter(ServletHandler.java:1610)
at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:84)
at hudson.security.UnwrapSecurityExceptionFilter.doFilter(UnwrapSecurityExceptionFilter.java:51)
at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:87)
at jenkins.security.ExceptionTranslationFilter.doFilter(ExceptionTranslationFilter.java:117)
at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter$1.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:87)
at org.acegisecurity.providers.anonymous.AnonymousProcessingFilter.doFilter(AnonymousProcessingFilter.java:125)
at org.acegisecurity.ui.rememberme.RememberMeProcessingFilter.doFilter(RememberMeProcessingFilter.java:135)
at org.acegisecurity.ui.AbstractProcessingFilter.doFilter(AbstractProcessingFilter.java:271)
at jenkins.security.BasicHeaderProcessor.doFilter(BasicHeaderProcessor.java:93)
at org.acegisecurity.context.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.doFilter(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter.java:249)
at hudson.security.HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter2.doFilter(HttpSessionContextIntegrationFilter2.java:67)
at hudson.security.ChainedServletFilter.doFilter(ChainedServletFilter.java:90)
at hudson.security.HudsonFilter.doFilter(HudsonFilter.java:171)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.compression.CompressionFilter.doFilter(CompressionFilter.java:49)
at hudson.util.CharacterEncodingFilter.doFilter(CharacterEncodingFilter.java:82)
at org.kohsuke.stapler.DiagnosticThreadNameFilter.doFilter(DiagnosticThreadNameFilter.java:30)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:540)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:146)
at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:524)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:132)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:257)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1700)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:255)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1345)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:203)
at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:480)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1667)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:201)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1247)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:144)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:132)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:505)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:370)
at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:267)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:305)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:103)
at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$2.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:117)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:333)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:310)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:168)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:126)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:366)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:698)
at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$Runner.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:804)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

'''

sanoop raj p s August 2, 2019

This worked after enabling 2 step authentication and created and used application password!

Like Balu-Suresh Maganti likes this
Balu-Suresh Maganti August 4, 2020

Worked like a charm.

Suggest an answer