Authentication between Confluence and Jira not working over application links

mitchel_mccullough November 7, 2018

Hello,

I have my Jira and Confluence systems configured for HTTPS and have them linked successfully. However, when attempting to navigate between the two systems via app links, I am still prompted to input my credentials again to authentication. My logs are not showing any useful information regarding issues between the systems.

So here's my configuration (systems are CentOS 7):

https://jira_external_url > (kemp load balancer) reverse proxy to 8443 on real server (Jira v7.9.2)

https://confluence_external_url > (kemp load balancer) reverse proxy to 8443 on real server (Confluence v6.10)

http://crowd_internal_url:8095 > (Crowd 3.3.0)

Both systems point to the crowd internal URL for authentication. Both systems point to each other locally utilizing the local hosts file entires to allow internal communication for app links (over port 8443 with OAuth Impersonation) rather than going out to the public URLs and coming back in the reverse proxy (attempting to do that just plain doesn't work in my deployment).

I'm not exactly sure what's missing in the configuration. Please help.

2 answers

0 votes

What exactly do you mean by enabling SSO in Crowd? I have the applications set up in Crowd, both Jira and Confluence can establish sessions to the Crowd server.

Shari Barchus November 7, 2018

Hi Mitchel,

Please check this article to help you get started with troublesooting: https://confluence.atlassian.com/crowd/troubleshooting-sso-with-crowd-131466214.html

Be sure to select your version of Crowd from the version drop-down in the top right of the screen.  See if this helps and we hope to hear back on your progress.

Thanks for the resources. I tested both applications in Crowd using the authentication test successfully.

Editing the seraph-config.xml to enable Crowd SSO integration causes Jira to not start up properly, so I had to revert it there. I was able to edit the Confluence seraph-config.xml and restart the service fine. The SSO issue still remains.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2018

@mitchel_mccullough

Please click here to open a ticket with Atlassian Support.

All the best

I've opened up a ticket with Atlassian Support. I've reviewed all of the links you sent and I couldn't find a way to set the RequestHeader unset Authorisation in my proxy (not using Apache, using an appliance). My guess is that a specific header is not being passed properly resulting in a authorization token error.

Thanks everyone for you help! I will update with what Atlassian Support finds.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2018

Thank you for the update @mitchel_mccullough greatly appreciated.

Best of luck!

0 votes
Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2018

@mitchel_mccullough

Do you have SSO enabled in Crowd?

Best,

What exactly do you mean by enabling SSO in Crowd? I have the applications set up in Crowd, both Jira and Confluence can establish sessions to the Crowd server.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2018

@mitchel_mccullough

Application Link makes communication between the 2 apps available. Meaning you can link a Confluence page to a project in JIRA, add a JIRA issue inside a Confluence page, and more.

Switching between the 2 apps without entering your credentials every time is a feature that you can enable from inside Crowd (Single Sign On).

I hope this helps.

All the best,

Do you mean authorisation caching? That is enabled and I also have and SSO Cookie configured. For context, this is a migration from a hosted facility that utilized only HTTP to on-prem, using HTTPS. I imported the existing configurations from the hosted facility and altered the systems to use HTTPS and a reverse proxy. This means Crowd SSO worked prior to my on prem migration.

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2018

@mitchel_mcculloughok makes sense. Let me check and get back to you

Fadoua
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 7, 2018

Suggest an answer