Attempting to update using JIRA REST and getting a 400 error

Lee Correll
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 7, 2017

I'm trying to replace the text in a multiline text field using the following JSON:

{"fields":{"customfield_10076":"stdquicklookup.pck.1.5 [ISSADEv8]\nstdquicklookup.pck.1.5 [ISSADEv9]"}}

(note - the editor here is making this multi-lined, but it's a single JSON line.)

Usually, I have no issue updating the custom field; in fact, 95% of the time, the code executes fine.  I can't find anything wrong with this JSON, and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with carriage returns, spacing, etc.  I'm using Powershell's Invoke-Restmethod (like I do with countless other API calls), which shouldn't make any difference.

Anybody see something I'm missing?

Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Moga
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 1, 2017

Hi Lee,

I tried the exact string that you have provided and it works fine on my side. I am using Insomnia to execute the REST API.

{"fields":{"customfield_10200":"stdquicklookup.pck.1.5 [ISSADEv8]\nstdquicklookup.pck.1.5 [ISSADEv9]"}}

One of the thing that I can see that could cause a problem is [ and ] perhaps, you can try to escape the characters and see if it works. 

I hope that this helps. Cheers!

Suggest an answer