Atlassian cloud and server accounts

Rafik EL HOUARI January 5, 2021

Hello,
I would like to know if we can have server and cloud account at the same time and how the two accounts interact with each other, i mean, for example if we take cloud licenses, can they access server spaces also from cloud,

Many thanks in advance for your clarifications

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2021

You can have many server and cloud accounts at the same time, but the access to each system is independent.

You could, given the right setup, have single user accounts in one place (an LDAP or Active Directory type identity provider for example), with each system using that for its user lists.

But the access to the systems is by system, not by user.  In each system, the most simple access case is "group X can use this system".  That has no effect on the other systems.  So, no, "I have a Cloud licence" does not mean "I can use Server too".  Even when you have one user account, you will need to allow for licences for each system in use, not the users.

Rafik EL HOUARI January 5, 2021

Hello,

Many thanks for your clarifications, to explain more my issue, we have server accounts for both products Confluence and Jira, and since Atlassian changes in server about the end of sale for new server licenses on February  2020, and as we are in need to upgrade and extend to more users numbers licences, so we would like to know if we can still use the server for the current users and extend to cloud accounts the new users,s the question of interactions between the server and cloud is, could the new cloud licences users have access to spaces ( knowledge bases. wiki...) and Jira projects already existed in the server account and still use it and interact inside same projects with server users or otherwise should we changes to cloud licences for all the users 

Kit Friend
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 6, 2021

0 overlap/interaction in your scenario really @Rafik EL HOUARI - as part of the shut down to server you need to consider and plan your migration of your entire instance to either Data Centre or Cloud products. There's no mix and match of your users - if you need to maintain your server licenses past February you need to buy now 

If you need support in your migration to DC/Cloud and don't have the internal experience, best to chat with an Atlassian Solution Partner: https://partnerdirectory.atlassian.com/ - I would always start with the Platinum/Global partners if possible (Disclaimer: both Nic and I work for partners ;) )

Rafik EL HOUARI January 6, 2021

Hello @Kit Friend ,

Thanks for your answer ;)

Like Kit Friend likes this
1 vote
Kit Friend
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2021

They're entirely unrelated unless you're using some sort of common directory (e.g. your company's Microsoft Azure directory) to integrate with both (even then, you're only sharing the login process - no hard tie)

Server = an independent app you're spinning up and managing on your chosen infrastructure. 

Suggest an answer