Atlassian JIRA, Fisheye and a local instance of GIT....seeking professional guidance.

Joe Sternlicht October 29, 2012

Hello,

We are in the process of migrating our Source Control from MKS Source Integrity to a local instance of GIT we are standing up. We have already migrated our workflows from MKS WorkFlow Integrity to JIRA which is hosted by Atlassian.

We are really new to GIT and are very new to integrating GIT into JIRA, and this change unfortunately causes us a lot of confusion at a time when we are also doing a lot of infrastructure changes. I am hoping someone can help me answer these specific questions:

1) If we host GIT ourselves, and Atlassian is hosting JIRA, are we able to use the FishEye plugin?

2) We have two development teams using different source controls (SVN, and soon GIT for our team out here). How can I set up FishEye to use GIT for our project in JIRA, but SVN for the other teams projects?

Below are my assumptions, and I'm hoping for someone can tell me if I'm close or not!

a) Go to JIRA admin.
b) Go to Plugins -> Application Links
c) Click Add Application Link
d) Put in the Server URL to your local GIT instance. It must be accessible externally for Atlassian JIRA to see it?
e) Go to menu Source Control
f) Go to FishEye Configuration
g) Here is where I get lost. My JIRA project already seems to have Entity Mappings associated with the other teams SVN instance through Fish Eye. How do I remove my projects association with their FishEye application link and instead use mine?

I realized I am making some assumptions here because we have not got our GIT instance stood up yet and I can only go so far throught he menus and documentations before hitting a roadblock. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Curtis.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Harry Chan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 29, 2012

Hi, if you are using Atlassian OnDemand for JIRA, it can only link up to Bitbucket or Github for Git. If you do have your own Git server this cannot be done.

Out of the box, Fisheye/Crucible/SVN/JIRA are all integrated on OnDemand.

Fisheye/Crucible will be phased out in favor of Github/Bitbucket for OnDemand.

If you need Git/SVN and more - best to find a hosted solution that does all this for you.

Joe Sternlicht October 30, 2012

Thank you for the information. I think we will be looking at GitHub then.

1 vote
hhung October 31, 2012

Hi Curtis, the answers to your questions depends on whether you are talking about FishEye OnDemand or an installed self-hosted version of FishEye.

If you are referring to FishEye OnDemand, then Harry is right in stating that the entire package of Subversion-hosting/FishEye/Crucible (also known as the 'Source + Review Bundle') is being phased out. It was announced mid last month and you can find more details here. In this case, we recommend that you move over to Bitbucket using Git. Otherwise, you can continue using FishEye but it would need to be via an installed self-hosted version.

So if you are referring to an installed version of FishEye and you want to connect it to JIRA OnDemand, then you are certainly right in assuming that this is done by creating an app link. Your instructions were in the right direction, we have documented the process here too.

Meanwhile, if you want to delete an existing app link, here are the steps on how to do this.

Lastly, after creating the app link between installed FishEye and JIRA OnDemand, you can also link a JIRA project to any FishEye repository. So this means that you can set up a Git repository and link it JIRA project XYZ and then have a different SVN repository linked to JIRA project ABC. More details on this here.

Hope that helps!

0 votes
Oludotun Ode March 19, 2014

Hi @javajoe, I am currently trying to migrate MKS workflows to JIRA. Did you automate the process when you did it? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks

0 votes
Ellen Feaheny [AppFusions]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2012

Curtis -

My advice is to get some hands-on experts mentoring - given two teams, there's pressure to get it right I would guess - and get it right as quick as possible.

You can spends weeks scouring documentation and forums, and still maybe not get there - or spend some valuable technical mentoring time with Atlassian expert engineers.

Bonus, at the end of the day. you will have confidence that you are all set up well and right - for going forward - as well as the learns gleaned in the process.

Just 3-5 hours would even go a LONG way even, if you value your time!

Can also discuss SLA hosting options with you, if you want.

Email if interested..

Best,

Ellen
ellen@appfusions.com

Suggest an answer