Atlassian Connect App Vs OAuth2.O (3LO)

Amit Khandelwal January 28, 2020

I am working on a project that provides data analytics for usage of JIRA by employees of our customers.
To do that, we followed the 3LO approach for the integration app and it is working fine except one part. we are limited to getting email address ONLY for the users that have granted email access to the app. And we need the email addresses only to cross-relate JIRA users to the employee-database of our customers so that they can analyze usage data, for example - group it by teams.

There is a way to get email address of users irrespective of their profile visibility settings as per the following documentation (https://community.developer.atlassian.com/t/guidelines-for-requesting-access-to-email-address/27603):
”Individuals may choose to hide their email address at any time by changing their profile visibility settings. They may also choose to revoke consent previously given to an app to access to their personal account details via a 3LO flow. By contrast, apps using the Email API will have access to email address for all users across an instance as long as the app is actively installed. This access will not be affected by user opt-outs or changes in profile visibility settings.”
*Such access will, of course, be subject to JIRA admins granting appropriate access scopes to our application.

Raised a Atlassian Support ticket to get Email API access, however got to know later that the scope ACCESS_EMAIL_ADDRESSES (or Email API) refers to 2LO approaches only. 
From what I understood from documentation, 2LO requires creating a Connect App which entails

• create connect app,

• publish the app of marketplace,

• get email api access approval, etc.

Can you please confirm that there are no other less involved 2LO methods (non-Connect Apps or something else) to get accomplish this? Would really appreciate help in clarifying this.

1 answer

0 votes
Vivek Gupta May 7, 2021

@Amit Khandelwal I am facing the similar problem. Did you get the solution for this?

Suggest an answer