Associating sub-task of some parent issue in some project with another issue in another project

ashleyg June 16, 2014

Hi,

I have a strange requirement wherein i want a sub-task of some issue of some project to appear as sub-task/issue in another project such that it remains the same sub-task in both projects so that any updates to it by another project should reflect in it in original project as well. Logically speaking i don't want to migrate it to another project. I just need two instances of it in 2 projects so if i get a sub-task created in my project and its relevant to another project i canreplicate it for the other project and should be able to see updates from my own project.

Please help me on this.

2 answers

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2014

Hi Ashley,

You could also take a look at JIRA Agile and create Epics in Project A and add the issues in Project B and Project C to this Epic (Epics span across projects so that's possible).

Otherwise you could simply use issue links instead of subtasks.

Or like Nic suggests: merge all your projects together and use different issue types, or simply different assignees.

Best regards,

Peter

ashleyg June 23, 2014

Hi Nic/Peter,

Could you also provide me some solution to the question i asked regarding:-

Want external user to be added as user in jira automatically without jira-users permissions.

please search this in the search bar and you will see under my name this question asked recently. I would very highly appreciate any solution/answer to this from you all.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 23, 2014

I'll take a look, but don't forget to like the helpfull comments and accept the answers on your questions that have been answered. This sends a message to the people helping you that their help has been appreciated.

Best regards,

Peter

ashleyg June 23, 2014

Sure Peter!

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 16, 2014

A sub-task has to be in the same project as it's parent, so you can't do this.

The closest you can get is to clone the subtask, then move it to the other issue, but that really does create a completely separate issue which will immediately diverge from the original. The manual process on the split and move is complex enough, and quite hard to script.

I'd be thinking of other ways to get your users to collaberate on the sub-task...

ashleyg June 16, 2014

Many thanks Nic.

I'll be looking forward to your suggestions on this.

ashleyg June 17, 2014

Hi Nic,

Any updates?

Please help me on this, i would be extremely thankful for that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2014

Um, my suggestion was that you have a look at how else your users can collaberate on sub-tasks. Without knowing your organisation and seeing how it works, I can't really recommend much more than talking to each other about how you want to work!

ashleyg June 18, 2014

Hi Nic,

Actually we'll be having few projects that will be having their specific roles/functions.

Like Project A is main project where issue is created, Project B deals with user administration issues, Project CV deals with jira customization issues,etc

So if request comes to Project A in form of isssue and subtasks are created to that issue we would like specific sub-task to replicate under some issue or as just issue in anorther project say B or C whose role matches wuith the sub-task (could be user administration).

I hope that answers your question.

Hoping for suggestions from you on this.

BR,

Ashley

ashleyg June 23, 2014

Hi Nic,

Have you come up with any suggestions.

Any form o suggestions would be fine.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2014

Merge the projects and differentiate the issues by issue type. You'll still need to think about duplicating the subtasks, but you can keep them in one place and differentiate them by issue type as well.

ashleyg June 23, 2014

Hi Nic/Peter,

Could you explain how to merge projects and the subsequent steps using a small example.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2014

To merge projects, filter for "project 1" and then use "bulk edit" to move all the issues into "project 2"

You should really check that the projects are compatible first though - if they're using all the same schemes and fields, you'll be fine, but if there are differences, you'll need to scan them to ensure they're compatible.

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 23, 2014

Hi Ashley,

You simply move the issues into the new project:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Moving+an+Issue

Best regards,
Peter

Suggest an answer