Associating bugs to a version

Carolyn White April 9, 2014

Can someone provide a possible solution to moving a version through statuses (To Do, In Progress, Done) as it relates to a QA workflow?

Currently we are looking at creating a new issue type (version) and creating a single issue that all of the defects can link to. This single issuee will move through the statuses to provide insight into the overall progress.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Marco Mancuso
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 10, 2014

Hello Carolyn,

what you are asking for is something that many JIRA users are looking for and also something that JIRA does not provide yet out of the box because a project version does not have its own lifecycle.

Your idea to create just one Issue of Version IssueType, and linking the defects back to it, in my opinion, is the right path.

I also agree with having concerns about filters and reports because if you go with the Version Issue Type with subtasks solution you will have to create new subtask issuetypes for all your existing issueTypes and this will break all the filters and reports.

What you could try to do in the future is to automate the link establishment.

A possible way to proceed with the automation could be the following:

1. Create a script postfunction that will create a Project version and add it to the create transition of the Version Issue
  2. Create a scripted listener that will look for issue updates and will automatically create the link to the Version Issue if the related JIRA project version is set as fixVersion (or another field) of the issue.

If you are looking to automate also the Issue Version creation when a new version is added to the project you can only use a service that runs periodically and creates the new Version Issue if not present. You are forced to use the service because JIRA does not expose yet a project listener.

For both the scripted service and the scripted postfunction you can both create a custom plugin or use Script Runner.

I hope this could help you and please let me know if you need more information about the possibility to automate the entire process.

Marco

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2014

Hi Carolyn,

You don't need to create any new issue types. You can create sub-tasks in any of the standard issue types, you just need to access the issue and select More -> Create Sub-task. Also, the reports will work for all the issue types in the system.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

0 votes
Carolyn White April 10, 2014

Hi Clarissa,

Thank you we are using Jira Agile.

Do I need to create a new issue type for bugs to make it a sub task or can this be modified?

I am concerned that some of the built in functionality for bugs (reports, charts etc.) would need to be recreated for the new sub task.

Carolyn

0 votes
cgauterio
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 10, 2014

Hi Carolyn,

I suggest you use JIRA Agile to do that. Assuming version is an issue type, You can create one version and add sub-tasks to it, and you will be able to view its progress.

When all sub-tasks are done, then you can mode the "version" to the Done column and complete your work.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Clarissa.

Suggest an answer