Associate New Priorities Silently

Patrick Chen October 18, 2019

Hello,

We've been using Jira for quite some time now and have over ten thousand Issues.

However, we now want to change/rename our Priority Schema values for various Projects. 

In a test environment, I changed the Priorit Schema and reassociated some Priorities (for example, Highest -> Critical)

After running the change, I found that Jira recorded the Priority value changes as user actions by the Administrator user, and that the Updated time entry of each Issue became the time of the Priority value change. 

Given the scope of Issues that we want to change Priority Schema for, this would wreck havok on the "Updated" field and throw off anyone who has a Filter Query to show them Recently Updated Issues, and generally cause confusion and extra information. 

My question is: Is there a way to update the Priority Schema "silently" so as not to trigger any Issue Updated events? We want the Priority Schema change to be seamless for our users. 

Any guidance is appreciated.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 19, 2019

Hi @Patrick Chen

There are no standard methods of doing this; the change history shows almost every edit made to an issue.

There is an app I found - Issue History Item Remover - which could help with this.

Alternatively, you'll need to do this via the database. Some base advice on this can be found in this answer.

Ste

0 votes
Patrick Chen October 21, 2019

Thank you for the reply. That is unfortunate to hear that is just the way it is. I do not want to mess with the database to accomplish this. 

Since it is firing events for every Priority value change, will it also be sending out emails too? Is there an easy way to disable email notifications globally while running this change?

Thank you

Stephen Wright _Elabor8_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 27, 2019

Hi @Patrick Chen

It might - I would test it to make sure.

A simple method is to change projects to "None" as a notification scheme and change them back - when choosing a different scheme for a project's scheme you can choose to select None and Associate that instead.

Ste

Suggest an answer