Assigning multiple users to task for the purpose of resource planning

Gareth Chaffer July 2, 2024

We are a hardware business and looking to use Jira for the planning of work for software, hardware, electrical, technicians...

I understand that Jira does not support the assigning of multiple users even though I believe there are strong use cases to allow it.

I am now looking at the various work arounds that will support our resource planning requirements.

Issue:  We have a task that requires multiple users - for example, removing a large piece of equipment from a machine.  I am ok that I can make one person responsible for the task and I would like to assign additional resources to support.  I understand that I can do that with sub tasks but the effort/points assigned to those sub tasks do not show in the sprint summary.  If you put all the effort in the story then that owner becomes over allocated (and other users, under allocated). 

I realise that I could work with teams but the support of such tasks is something that flexes around the group and it is important that team members are allocated to most appropriate task.

I did have a quick look at the Issue collaborator field but can't see how that reflects up for resource planning.

4 answers

2 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2024

As long as they are all Jira users, you can use a multiple user picker field. 

If they aren't the Label field would be another way to list who is needed. 

Daniël July 2, 2024

@Joe Pitt I don't where my answer went...but I suggested the same.

1 vote
Yuliia Hushcha _Reliex_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2024

Hi @Gareth Chaffer 

Welcome to the community!

I can suggest you ActivityTimelineThis app provides a special planning board that contains all Jira projects with tasks, teams, and timelines and is built like a calendar. Users can assign tasks directly on the dashboard by simple drag-n-drop, track user activities, and understand who is doing what and when it will be done.

When tasks are divided using ActivityTimeline, the extra assignees will be visible in the Jira task within the "Issue Collaborators" field. This process works both ways, so if users designate individuals in the custom field within Jira, the task will be automatically reflected on the dashboard. 

Our intuitive drag-and-drop feature, while holding the 'Shift' button, effortlessly splits tasks among assignees, specify the desired estimates for each user, and you'll promptly see the segmented issues displayed on the Timeline.

65450216a0a39011765d50eb_Multiple Assignees for a Single Task.png

Feel free to ask any questions or book free demo call to discuss how we can help you specifically with your project:)

0 votes
Daniël July 2, 2024

Hi @Gareth Chaffer , how about making use of a 'Custom field' using one of the following available 'Field Types':

• User Picker (single user)
  • User Picker (multiple users)

This can be configured by a Jira Product Admin.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-a-custom-field/ 

Krgds.

Gareth Chaffer July 3, 2024

How should this be implemented as part of scrum planning to ensure that Team is not over committed for the Sprint?  The best feature I have found so far is the workload assignee where I can include subtasks within Sprint estimate.  Why is there not a similar check box or setting for the Sprint summary (Not Started/In Progress/Completed), or is there?

Screenshot 2024-07-03 152034.png

Daniël July 4, 2024

I don't know "Why is there not a similar check box or setting for the Sprint summary (Not Started/In Progress/Completed), or is there?".

Did my other answer provide a solution?

Gareth Chaffer July 4, 2024

I am not sure how this should be implemented to solve my issue.  Is this the same principle as Custom Field - Issue Collaborator which I already found in the Community and have added to configuration.  It allows me to have multiple assignees referenced against an issue but that does not get reflected in assignee workload.  

How do I use that custom field to assess resource allocation for the Sprint?  I have configured the board to make Issue Collaborator visible.  For Sprint planning, such tasks could be left unassigned with priority given to overall Team capacity.

If task is assigned to responsible, that person will be heavily over allocated.

0 votes
Daniël July 2, 2024

Hi @Gareth Chaffer how about making use of a 'custom field' using one of these available 'field types':

• User Picker (single user)
  • User Picker (multiple users)

This can be done by a Jira Product Administrator. 

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/create-a-custom-field/

Krgds.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Product Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events