Assigning a build ID for Sprints

Currently, we create a version for each sprint, because we can use Build ID in the description for each iteration/sprint.

However, that is a bit cumbersome and I do believe sprints might be used instead. But in that way, we cannot record easily the build ID the sprint resulted into (other than renaming the sprints).

Is there no other way to achieve that?

1 answer

This widget could not be displayed.

I think this approach would work if you only do a single build within the x-week sprint duration. 

Given that the sprint name (in JIRA 7.9 server version) is quite short, it would restrict how much build information you could provide there.

By contrast, we use the sprint name with the format: "<current year sprint number> (<release>, <sprint end date>)"

So for example, if we are building release 2.0.1 during the 15th sprint of 2018 and the sprint ends on 2 August, the sprint name is: "2018-15 (2.0.1, 2 Aug)".

The advantages of this approach include:

1. You can filter on sprint names (when assigning issues)

2. You can ensure (manually or via JQL subscriptions) that issues are correctly assigned to sprints for the correct FixVersion (software release)

3. You can see what is the latest date an issue will be closed (according to your Definition of Done).

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted Aug 06, 2018 in Jira Service Desk

A is for Activate: Share your top Jira Service Desk onboarding tips for new users!

Hi, everyone! Molly here from the Jira Service Desk Product Marketing Team :).  In the spirit of this month's  august-challenge, we're sourcing stories of Jira Service Desk activation fro...

553 views 25 15
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you