Assign to me like Button for Custom User Picker

Jeffery Fernandez March 5, 2013

I have a custom user picker field to which I want to associate an action like the "Assign to Me" button. So bascially when I click on the button the user on the custom field will be updated to the current user.

The purpose for this button is so that testers can click on the button and "assign" the testing task to themselves instead of changing the assignee of the issue. I am trying to avoid creating multiple issues for development and testing purposes, as the issue workflow manages those steps.

Is this possible, or any other work arounds available?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2013

Not possible by configurations. It will be pretty easy if you are okay with developing a new custom field type. Another option would be to use some javascripts but involves querying some REST APIs to get current user etc.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 5, 2013

It is a pretty good place to start at. You might find this useful too!

http://www.j-tricks.com/1/post/2010/08/custom-fields.html

Jeffery Fernandez March 5, 2013

ok, I have come across https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/How+to+create+a+new+Custom+Field+Type

Are there better example of how to extend the Custom User Picker field? Or am I better of starting from scratch?

0 votes
Henning Tietgens
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 5, 2013

How about creating a (looping and common) workflow step which updates the customfield to the current user?

Suggest an answer