Assign permissions to Project Roles

marcel December 3, 2014

Hi,

I'm trying to establish a general permission scheme. Therefore I defined several Project Roles (Administrators, Developers, Users, Head of, Trainee) and assigned groups to these roles (Administrators = jira-admins, bamboo-admins, stash-admins...). In a next step I defined the global permissions and a default permission scheme depending on the roles/groups.

In the permission scheme I tried to assign the permissions to the roles, but I got the feedback that the users haven't got the permissions defined in the scheme. So I changed the permission scheme and assigned the permissions to the groups and then it was ok.

So my question: isn't it possible to assign permissions in a permission scheme to project roles? Or is there a point I have forgotten?

Thank's in advance,

Marcel

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2014

It's a good idea to use Project roles in permission schemes - they give you more flexibility than groups.

I'm not sure what you have actually done here.  The default permission scheme in JIRA uses roles.  If you're using groups and can't find the options to use roles, then you're either looking in the wrong place (Just try permission scheme -> add permission -> look for "role: <dropdown list of roles>" to see it) or you are using JIRA 3.5 or below.

However, you've also said "I definited several project roles ... and assigned groups to these roles".  That rules out JIRA 3.5 or below, but you did NOT say which project you did this in, so my next guess is that you did this in project X and then went and changed a permission scheme that project X is NOT using?

To be clear, the logical steps are:

• Create roles
  • Copy/Create a permission scheme (or choose to change an existing one)
  • Add roles to permissions
  • Go into the project you need to change and apply the permission scheme
  • Add users and/or groups into the roles in the project

marcel December 3, 2014

Hi Nic, thank's for the quick help. it's JIRA 6.3.7. I performed the steps you mentioned (1. create roles 2. create permission scheme 3. add roles to scheme 4. apply scheme for project). Perhaps it is the last point, where I made a mistake. Do I always have to define roles on the project level (that means when I'm in my project > Administration > Roles)? I left the project roles empty. I thought that in this case JIRA takes the roles that are established and only if I want to have special permissions on the project level I have to enter a value in these fields...

marcel December 3, 2014

Because I already assign the groups to the roles on a global level (Administration > System > Roles). For example: I assigned the groups "jira-administrator", "bamboo-administrator", "stash-administrator" to the role "Administrators". So, do I have to assign the groups to the roles also on the project level?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2014

Yes, that's what I said. The roles are a global thing - you add a role. That makes it available for a project to put users in, and for a permission scheme to grant permissions to. Those two combine to grant users rights.

Suggest an answer