Assign issues to different Kanban boards in one parent project

Michael McGinley January 30, 2018

Hello! I am new to Jira and Kanban project management. I am using a Kanban board in Jira, and want to assign distinct issues to specific boards under one parent project. I understand how to create a board, but do not see how to assign issues to different boards. For example I would like to have a board on application improvements and a board on SW licensing, and manage these as somewhat separate efforts under the parent project. Then I would like to create issues and assign them to the appropriate boards. As I see it now in Jira, the same issues appear in both boards, apps and SW. Possibly I am missing something very simple to assign the issues to a board. Thank-you!

2 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2018

Dear @Michael McGinley,

do following:

1. create two components: application improvements , sw licensing
  2. open the first kanban board and configure->general
  3. press edit filter query and insert the following before "ordered by" (advanced)
    1. AND component = "application improvements"
  4. save the filter (same name)
  5. same for second board but different component

Now by selecting one component for the issue will assignee it to board A or B. You can do this also with a custom field, if you want to avoid components.

So long

Thomas

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 1, 2018

Dear @Michael McGinley,

you didn't come back, yet. Do you need more help?

So long

Thomas

Michael McGinley February 7, 2018

Hello Thomas! Yes I followed your directions and it worked perfectly for me! I have several Kanban boards now to use for different themes in our project. I am just getting started with Jira but this is definitely the program we will use in converting to agile project management! Apologize for my delayed response, Mike

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2018

Dear @Michael McGinley,

is then my answer good enough to get "accepted"?

Many thanks

Thomas

Yes Thomas, your guidance is great and merits being accepted! Is there a way for me to tag it such? I am not sure I see how to do that in our discussion. Let me know and I will follow up! Mike

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 7, 2018

Ah, the accept button is hidden, when you hover the mouse some pixels left of the "votes icon", its there ;)

Krystina Villarreal October 22, 2019

@Thomas Deiler You mentioned above, if one wanted to avoid components you could create a custom field. Can you go into more detail on that? I'm trying to figure out if the components or the custom field is a better option. Thank you

Thomas Deiler
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 14, 2021

Dear @Krystina Villarreal ,

sorry for the late response ;)

You need to be an admin to do that. Jump to

1. Administration > Issues > Custom Fields
  2. Select as custom type "Select List (single choice)"
  3. Add 2 options eg 'A' and 'B'
  4. Save and apply the new field to all screens of your issues you would like to make visible on 2 different boards
  5. Adapt your 2 board filters for that new custom field
  6. Done

So long

Thomas

0 votes

Great, Thomas, I think the acceptance went through, thanks again!

Suggest an answer