Assign issue to specific column in Kanban board automatically.

Razma Tazz January 7, 2016

Hi I have my project setup and using Kanban board. On my board I have the following columns from left to right...

• To Do (To Do): The full "backlog"
  • Bugs (To Do): Only contains bug issue types
  • In Progress (In Progress)
  • QA (In Progress): Issues ready to be QAed
  • QA In Progress (In Progress): Bugs currently being QAed
  • Done (Done)

Now is it possible that when someone creates a bug issue that it automatically gets added to Bugs (To Do) column. Right now every new issue gets added to the To Do column.

Thanks

3 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Doug Swartz
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2016

In addition to quick filters, you could use a separate swimlane for bugs.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2016

Bother, I always forget you can do that! Nice one.

Razma Tazz January 8, 2016

Yep figure that out also!

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 7, 2016

You have to understand that the Columns in the JIRA Agile boards are always associated to ticket Statuses. e.g, you can name a Board Column "Backlog" and associate it issue statues "To do" and "Open". It's not configured for Issue Types.

Also, I'm not sure why you have 2 TO DO columns here. 

Razma Tazz January 7, 2016

Humm true. I suppose when the bugs column was created it was just an easier way to see what bugs are in the to do list but I guess just a custom filter will do right?

Sorry this should have been a comment smile 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 7, 2016

Does sound like a good case for a "quick filter" if you only want one "To Do" column. With a quick-filter of "issuetype = bug", you can quickly toggle them on and off. (And maybe another one for "issuetype != bug")

GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 7, 2016

Yeah, just stick with one "To Do" column and as Nic said, use Quick Filters to hide/show the things you need :)

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2016

You could set up two workflows - one for Bugs, with an initial status of "To do - bug", and the other for all the other types with an initial status of just "To do".  Map those to separate columns in the board, and you're sorted.

Suggest an answer