Assign issue from text field email

Roshan Vislavath March 27, 2021

Hi, 

I have a text field with email value, I am trying to assign an issue based on the email in the text. 

I have also tried with the Automation rule which is not assigning the issue 

Any help appreciated,

Thank you,

Roshan 

2 answers

0 votes
Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
March 31, 2021

Hi @Roshan Vislavath ,

while it's not possible to 'translate' the email address automatically, you could go for branch rules (if we're only talking about a small number of possible - and future - assignments since this will obviously not scale), e.g.

• Your trigger
  • Branch rule #1
    • Condition - text field equals/contains john@doe.com
    • Action - assign to user john.doe
  • Branch rule#2
    • Condition - text field equals/contains im@doe.com
    • Action - assign to user jim.doe
  • etc.

Cheers
Thorsten

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2021

How is your automation looking up the email address for the user you want to assign to?

Roshan Vislavath March 28, 2021

I have used the smart value {{issue.customfield_id}}, which will look up from the text field and assign issue based on that 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2021

OK, that will fetch an email address, which is nothing more than a block of text.  

You're going to need something a bit more clever to read the email address and search for it amongst your people's accounts, and effectively translate it into an (assignable) user id for the assignee field.

Roshan Vislavath March 28, 2021

correct Nic,

Is there any solution for this?

This is a show stopper, any workaround on this issue, also open to implementing this functionality with the plugin too

Thanks!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 29, 2021

You will need to code for this new functionality.  I'm not sure you can add a function t automation with a an app, but you could replicate all of what it is doing and include your mapping code in an app, replacing the automation.  Or use one of the scripting apps (obviously, I'd use Scriptrunner here)

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD Trial
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events