Assign a task to a specific role after transition

Chris Whisenhunt February 5, 2020

I'm fairly new to Jira so please excuse my lack of knowledge on this subject. I'm trying to setup a workflow so that when a transition happens the issue will be assigned to the user that is setup as a role X on the project. It seems like this would be standard functionality but cannot figure it out. Any help would be very much appreciated. 

FYI I'm using Jira Cloud.

Thank you!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Radhika Vijji _Innovalog_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2020

Hi Chris,

If you have JMWE you can use the "Assign to role member" post-function. Look at the product documentation for more information on this post-function. https://innovalog.atlassian.net/wiki/x/LICcBQ

Regards,

Radhika

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2020

Hey @Radhika Vijji _Innovalog_ ,

on a side note, please make sure to update your community profile to make it clear that you're affiliated with a partner company. If you want to know more about the way, please refer to the Atlassian Community online guidelines for Marketplace vendors and Solution Partners. Thank you! :D 

Best, Max

Radhika Vijji _Innovalog_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2020

Thanks Max. Done. 

Regards,

Radhika

Like Joseph W_ likes this
1 vote
Nich Hogue
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2020

Hi Chris.

There are add ons that allow you to assign to a project row such as Jira Workflow Toolbox (JWT), they also offer a lot of other functionality in post functions. 

But if the assignee is always going to be the same person that's in this role you can add a post function, Update Issue Field. With this you can update your assignee to a specific user. As well as some other system fields. Or you could assign to current user if the person transitioning the tickets should be taking ownership. 

Hope this helps out. 

Thank you!

Is there a specific forum that handles the expressions used in the JWT? I can't figure out how to code it to return role X on the project.

Nich Hogue
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 5, 2020

Hi Chris. 

When I go in to try and add this as well it pulls up the roles for my project right at the top menu. 
Just to go through the same steps. I clicked the transition in my workflow, went to post functions, added a post function, selected Assign to Project Role, clicked Add. Then the top option was the project roles with in my project.

From there you can choose how the assignment is done from the role. such as next, previous, least busy, round robin in a group. 

Screen Shot 2020-02-05 at 3.04.40 PM.png

Are you getting different options? Or did you maybe select a different JWT post function?

Chris Whisenhunt February 6, 2020

Hi Nich,

By following the steps you provided I get a different set of options.

image.png

Perhaps I installed the wrong toolkit?

image.png

Nich Hogue
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 6, 2020

Oh cloud, might have different admin abilities in the platforms. I tested on server. 

Chris Whisenhunt February 6, 2020

Good to know I'm not crazy. Any chance you know where I could locate the differences or know of anyone that could help?

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2020

HI @Chris Whisenhunt

I definitely know someone who is able to help! 😉And thank you a lot @Nich Hogue for jumping in. :) He is right that your use case can be realized easily using Jira Workflow Toolbox on Jira Server or Data Center. 

The reason for the difference in functionality is the difference between the Cloud and Server/Data Center platforms.

Using the initial release of JWT for Jira Cloud we have to think about a workaround for now. 

Thinking out loud and off the top of my head, you could:

• Make use of a custom field to let a user select the target project role on a transition screen or have the field present on the issue in general.
  • Add post functions for each of the selectable project roles to assign the issue. 
  • Use conditional executions in the post functions to assign the issue to a specific user being the default for project roles.

I'll give this another thought and see what else I can come up with. :)

Please feel free to get in touch with us in our service desk to follow up on this.

If you have questions about the app in general, you can

• ask questions here in the community and please be sure to use tags,
  • head over to our app documentation
  • or open a support request in our service desk

And by the way, we are continuously adding new features to the cloud version of JWT and extending the expression parser is on our list, you can have a look at our public roadmap

Best, Max

Like Chris Whisenhunt likes this
Chris Whisenhunt February 11, 2020

@Max Foerster - K15t 

Thank you for your information, it's much appreciated.

Regarding those 3 options that you mentioned, are they all separate or just sequential? I'd like to automate this as much as possible, so the less the end user has to do the better.

Thank you!

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2020

Hi Chris,

they are sequential! :) The workaround necessitates the input of a "target project role" at some point. After that, we use that information to work through the different possible assignments with multiple post functions for each case.  I don't have enough details about your process to provide you with more detailed instructions at this point. But I hope you got the gist of it. If you need additional help let me know and we figure something out. :)

Best, Max

Chris Whisenhunt February 11, 2020

Got it. I'm wondering if you know of any other apps that could aid in this? We really need the ability to target the role based off of the status. Across our projects we have the same roles defined but different people will be assigned those roles. Our team members won't necessarily know who it should get the ticket, just that it needs to go to the next step.

Max Foerster - K15t
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 11, 2020

Hey Chris,

you will have to take a look at the paid workflow apps available for Cloud like ScriptRunner, JMWE and JSU. I know that JMWE uses user properties to identify default members. So a similar approach to JWT on Server/Data Center and unfortunately not yet on Cloud. :)

Suggest an answer