Asana to Jira project migration

TWN_karlhendrik November 15, 2019

My goal is to import old projects to Jira from Asana. Currently i have tried importing to Jira 7.13.5 that support Asana Importer plugin natively, but is failing with following error.

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.asana.rest.beans.Project.getExternalId(Project.java:101) [?:?]
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.asana.transformers.ProjectTransformer.apply(ProjectTransformer.java:19) [?:?]
	at com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.asana.transformers.ProjectTransformer.apply(ProjectTransformer.java:8) [?:?]
	at com.google.common.collect.Iterators$8.transform(Iterators.java:799) [guava-18.0.jar:?]
	at com.google.common.collect.TransformedIterator.next(TransformedIterator.java:48) [guava-18.0.jar:?]
	at java.util.AbstractCollection.addAll(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_232]
	at java.util.HashSet.<init>(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_232]

It happens after i select project that i want to import from Asana and start importing proccess.

Tried to import with json also, but that way it also failed with different error

2019-11-15 13:06:06,213 ERROR - Failed to create data bean
java.lang.RuntimeException: org.codehaus.jackson.map.exc.UnrecognizedPropertyException: Unrecognized field "data" (Class com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.sample.SampleData), not marked as ignorable
 at [Source: java.io.StringReader@25ced13; line: 73585, column: 2] (through reference chain: com.atlassian.jira.plugins.importer.sample.SampleData["data"])

Using latest jira with json also gives that error. I haven't tried importing csv yet because Asana csv exporting is not working correctly.

2 answers

0 votes
Getint.io May 9, 2021

Hi @TWN_karlhendrik and @Jordan McCombs ,

this the the case that often occurs.

We have developed an alternative to the native importer - the getint.io app available at Atlassian Marketplace. The app is for both migration and integration of Asana and Jira.

It works without the need of exporting, and importing the CSV file. 

With getint.io you can just map the types and fields (including custom fields, attachments, comments, statuses) - and move tasks/issues very fast. You can also see all the logs to make sure you have everything executed as you planned.

You can install the app both as SaaS and on-premise.

Here is the link to the app - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1223932/getint-jira-asana-integration-sync?hosting=cloud&tab=overview

best,

Jacek

Co-Founder of getint.io

0 votes
Jordan McCombs June 23, 2020

Were you ever able to get this working? I'm having a similar issue.

Suggest an answer