As an Admin, Can I log in as another user?

Audra Bonacki October 24, 2018

I recently set up an overseas user but he can't log in, unlike his coworkers. Nothing is different about his set up but I wanted to see if I could log in as him to make sure it is not a ID and password issue. Is that possible?

3 answers

0 votes

I created their account and password so they're not giving me any confidential info. I was trying to troubleshoot to see if ti was a log in problem or network connection problem. I figured if I can at least log in as them, it may determine it is a network connection issue since they are overseas.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2018

If you have their credentials, then try them and read the errors.  

When I do it says your username and password are incorrect-please try again. Not sure how that's possible when I created them both. And i already deleted and recreated the account.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 24, 2018

You'll need to read the log file to find out why the system is rejecting them.

k, I'll give that a try. Thank you Nic.

0 votes

Would there be a reason I couldn't at least log in as them?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2018

I don't quite understand the question.  As I said, impersonation is not going to help you debug a login problem.

Logging in as them is the only way to debug it.  It's bad practice to hand over a user/password, but you may have to ask them to do that if they're incapable of giving you the error/rejection message.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 24, 2018

On Cloud, you can impersonate them.  On Server, you'd need an App to enable the function (there are several)

However, these are impersonation once logged in, they are not going to help you debug a log in problem. 

You need to get them to try to log in, give you the exact error or rejection messages, and debug from there.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events