• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • As a JIRA User I want to support the WAS JQL query syntax for IssueType attribute so I know when a user has changed an Issue Type from the original submission

As a JIRA User I want to support the WAS JQL query syntax for IssueType attribute so I know when a user has changed an Issue Type from the original submission

Paul Stonehouse November 7, 2012

Is there an easy way to track when a user changes an issuetype without creating another custom field?

_Issue_

# Tester submits issue as a Bug in JIRA

# Developer disagrees and changes to a Story issue type

_Expected Behaviour_

# When an issue type is changed, we should be able to find using a JQL query like

issuetype WAS IN (Bug)

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Dave C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 3, 2012

There was a support case raised for this, so I'm updating this question with the suggested resolution in case anyone else happens to find it.

Currently WAS isn't supported for IssueType, however you can kind of workaround this with a plugin and a different solution.

Using the the JIRA Suite Utilities plugin it's possible to use the Copy Value From Other Field Post-Function, allowing JIRA to be setup in the following manner:

• Remove the Issue Type field from the default screen scheme, disabling users ability to edit an issue type normally.
  • Add a workflow step to change the issue type.
  • This step will use the JIRA Suite Utilities post-function to set the old Issue Type in the Custom Field.

Unfortunately, this won't stop users from changing it during a bulk or normal move and if it is changed more than once the first value will be overwritten. However, it can be used as a workaround for all other scenarios.

I believe there is a read-only custom field type within the JIRA Importers Plugin that could be used for this purpose. It is however not designed for this, so may not be the most ideal workaround.

Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 4, 2012

I think that I found the issue! Although it was logged as an improvement:

Allow JQL history search for the Issue Type field

I provided some use cases back in June and then the issue was resolved in September as a "we're not going to improve this area".

What? Never? I think that the issue should have been left open... at least in order to see whether it would gather more votes and to let people make comments. People can still make comments now of course... but what's the point?

Suggest an answer