As JIRA administrator, how can I edit other people's profiles

Xavier July 13, 2012

I did see a question about editing other people's avatars, but more generally, I'd like to be able to edit other people's profiles, particularly language and time zone as we're using JIRA globally.

Is there a way I can do this without having to reset the account's password, log in as themselves? I can edit just about everything else of a user's account, just not their profile.

I would have done it at the user creation stage, but there's no option there either, by default, the account takes the system's time zone and language.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mark Symons
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2012

There's no need to reset the account's password... you can use an SU tool to switch user (impersonate a user). There is a commercial plugin that lets you do this:

JIRA SU Plugin

There's also a "SwitchUser" canned script in Script Runner but I do not see it documented at the link. However, I used the functionality a couple of times in the last week alone and can attest that it works great.

Of course, using an SU tool lets you edit one user profile at a time. There may be a quicker way to change specific things (such as time zone preference) in bulk, perhaps also using Script Runner... but someone else might like to comment about that.

Xavier July 13, 2012

Thanks Mark. Works great. A bit clunky, but does the job if I need to do a few urgently.

I'll suggest that everyone updates their profiles as that would be a lot quicker than me going through them all.

Alternatively, I suppose it's possible by editing the database directly but that would be a lot riskier.

Cheers,

Xavier

2 votes
rcasares September 11, 2014

As an alternative, if you wish to do bulk profile updates, I wrote a groovy script for the Script-Runner plugin for updating the "Notify Own Changes" setting in users profile. You just have to find the property key you wish to update and the proper method in JIRA java documentation.

https://gist.github.com/ricardocasares/c4c0e4dea3a5ad4c3480

Cheers!

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 8, 2014

Thanks for Sharing

1 vote
Mike Reaves January 27, 2015

The Administrator not being able to edit a user's profile out-of-the-box without installing a plug-in makes the profile pages not very useful.  I'm not sure that the JIRA SU plugin works with On Demand, but even if it does, installing and paying for a plugin seems like a lot of work to be able to update someone's phone number.  As brain dead as it sounds, I'm creating a page called, "Contacts" to keep my user's phone numbers and email addresses accurate because there's no simple way for the Admin to update this content.  Disappointing.

Suggest an answer