Are there any guided educational resources for learning how to use REST API with Jira?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 5, 2022

I would like to learn how to use REST API but I learn better when in a guided environment, like a classroom, rather than reading reference documentation. I've looked for online courses but I haven't found one that really starts from the ground up - the ones I've seen assume some level of knowledge up front.  If you know of any that would be most helpful.  Thank you.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2023

Hi @Rob Horan and @Karri Adkins 

the following article just popped up in my linkedIn feed and I thought that might be something regarding your question:

https://www.linkedin.com/posts/bart-jaworski_api-productmanagement-productmanager-activity-7094701738598776833-1BZP?utm_source=share&utm_medium=member_desktop

It´s a list of some free tutorials/courses regarding REST API. Hope this is helpful.

Best
Stefan

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 11, 2023

@Stefan Salzl - thank you so much!  This is so great! I'm going to share it on LinkedIn as well now!

Like Stefan Salzl likes this
Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 11, 2023

@Rob Horan 

thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear it could be helpful.

Best
Stefan

0 votes
Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2022
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2022

@Rob Horan 

Do you have the underlying skills with using REST APIs and are just looking for Jira specific training, or are you looking for complete "Teach me in a classroom how to use REST APIs in general" training?

A simple Google search for "training on how to use REST APIs" produced 61 MILLION results, including tons of online video tutorials as well as courses offered by training companies.

Once you know how to interact with one REST API, you pretty much know how to interact with all REST APIs, including all of Atlassian's products.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 6, 2022

@David Bakkers thanks :) Yes, despite what it might seem like, I did actually check Google first, though after tweaking my search I did find one thing - what appears to be a course by Ravi Sagar.  @Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_ creates some amazing content, and deserves so much more recognition for his work.

https://www.ravisagar.in/courses/mastering-jira-rest-api

Anyway, while I appreciate the google it and find out approach, I had hoped someone might have known of a good course for using REST API with Jira - and for people who are not familiar with REST API.

Imagine for a moment you're really craving paigu fan from a Taiwanese restaurant and you ask for a restaurant recommendation, and someone tosses a box of menus at you - and sure, there's probably 30 Taiwanese restaurants with paigu fan on the menu, mixed in with menus from Shanghaiese, Szechuan, Mongolian, and Hong Kong style restaurants, along with 30 ads from Burger King, Taco Bell, and several other restaurants that just want your attention.   Well, the answer is in there somewhere, so... yay?

With that said, there didn't seem to be a lot of options for people who are just getting started, especially for Jira.  I'm hoping Ravi's class is different, but I suppose I was hoping someone might have known of a great starting point.

Like Karri Adkins likes this
Karri Adkins July 25, 2023

Yes I am in same boat. where do you even start to learn and understand it

Stefan Salzl
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 25, 2023

As @David Bakkers already mentioned:

it‘s not only about the Jira API itself but to have an understanding of „what is a RestAPI“, „how does it work“ and „how to talk to APIs“.

Personally I had a hard time for years to imagine what an API is. I started to do a whole web dev course on codecademy which then opened my eyes. The point is: I got a lot of (imho necessary or at least helpful) technical preconditions to then better understand how tominteract with a RestAPI.

After that you could operate nearly every RestAPI.

Here is a link to a chapter from my codecademy course regarding Rest. Not quite shure if this could be done as an exercise/course seperately but maybe this already contains of helpful input:

https://www.codecademy.com/article/what-is-rest

Best
Stefan

Suggest an answer