Are cloud and server versions of JIRA absolutely the same?

Darya_Koyfman August 22, 2017

My company has a server version of JIRA for production because of security issues. What if  we get (buy) a cloud version only for development/restructural and testing needs? Are they the same? I'm thinking of making changes to workflows, structures changes, etc. on cloud, then move my changes to our server JIRA version which is our production/life.

2 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2017

They are separate code bases these days I believe, so are separate products. Moving configuration changes from cloud to server is not likely to be easy, but do try

Thank you for your answer!

0 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

HI Darya,

What you'll notice is the Cloud version is usually a version or two ahead of the Server version and includes features that may not be in Server yet, e.g. the Kanplan backlog did not make it into Server for at least 3 months after it was introduced to the Cloud version.

Here are a couple resources to help you determine the best course forward:

In addition, the functionality of some add-ons may be different, .e.g ScriptRunner is a bit different on Cloud than on Server.

If you do decide to move to Cloud please review the Migrating from JIRA Server to JIRA Cloud documentation before proceeding.

Cheers,

Branden

Hi Branden,

Thank you for your answer. 

somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 22, 2017

Hi Darya,

No worries.  To add to what Matt said, the JIRA code is being developed as Cloud and Server independently so there may be some version mismatch issues and feature loss going from Server to Cloud as the Cloud development is a version or two ahead of Server.

Cheers,

Branden

Thanks again!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2017

Do not bet on functions in Cloud ever making it into Server, and vice-versa.  The message at the last couple of summits was clearly what Brandon and Matt have said - they are different products with different audiences, and some features may never cross the gap.

Thanks Nic. I don't think we will go with this solution.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 22, 2017

If you're happy with server (because of your security questions), stick with it!  There's no need for a migration unless there are significant benefits.

I was just thinking of dev environment on cloud. My IT probably doesnt's want to use space for dev. But I don't like the idea of restructuring my processes on production. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 22, 2017

Cloud and Server are too different for that to be worth it.  I'd use your developer licence to run a dev/test server of the same version as production

Suggest an answer