Archiving in Jira 7.11

Maggie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 2, 2018

We just upgraded our JIRA environment to 7.11, which I was excited for because of the new Archive functionality.

This morning I logged into JIRA, with the official Atlassian document for how to use the new Archive method opened in another window, and went to start cleaning out the project list that is so horribly out of control right now.

Unfortunately, no matter how I go about it, the “Archive” option is not showing up in the *** menu under actions in the Project section. I have admin rights, made sure to log in for the access, but the option never appeared. I had the official Software Admin try with his general user account, and his system admin account, both of which did not get the archive option, either.

I have not found anything here in the community about this issue yet. Hopefully someone can help me figure this out? Are we supposed to enable the archive option within the JIRA settings before it becomes available in the project screen? Is there a line of code that needs to be added on the server side in a config file?

Thank you in advance for your help with this.

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 2, 2018

Hi Maggie,

I did a quick check on your company's licenses and believe you're actually on Jira Server (not the Data Center offering). These are two separate product licenses.

A quick way to verify this is checking the /status URL at your Jira's address, for example jira.atlassian.com/status - if this page doesn't exist, you're likely on Jira Server (and not Jira Data Center).

Another way to check is looking for the node ID in the footer of Jira - instructions for what to look for are here.

At this time, project archiving is only a Data Center feature. If you are on Jira Server, some options for alternatives are discussed in this article.

Cheers,
Daniel

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 29, 2018

Daniel - Are there plans to have archival available in JIRA server?

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 30, 2018

Hey Brant, as far as I am aware it's not currently on the roadmap for Server. By the time indexes reach the size where archiving will really help out, most Jira instances are in the range where we really recommend Data Center for reliability and scaling purposes. 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 30, 2018

Daniel - Service desks could become very large over time and it would be nice to archive the tickets and not delete them or have to move to data center.

0 votes
Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2018

Archiving is an option just on data centre version if I am not wrong - are you using data centre version ?

Maggie
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
August 2, 2018

Yes, using the Data Center version

Vickey Palzor Lepcha
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 2, 2018

You are an admin but do you have the " archive and restore project " permissions ?

Suggest an answer