Applying resolution to sub-tasks when transitioning parent issue

Lars Böhnke September 18, 2019

Hey community 👋We're having a workflow rule that a parent issue cannot be moved to done unless all sub-tasks are resolved. Idea behind this is that the team should resolve sub-tasks first.

Now one could challenge this rule in the first place but that's not my question :)

My question is rather if it's possible to apply the resolution of a parent issue to sub-tasks when a user wants to move the parent issue to done (for example because it's no longer valid) and thus wants to apply that to sub-tasks, too.

What is the situation right now? One needs to move all sub-tasks manually which is tedious. 

1 answer

0 votes
Dave Theodore [Coyote Creek Consulting]
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2019

The way I would implement this is to create an "Abandon" transition on the parent issue workflow that goes to "Done" status (for example,) with a post-function that sets the Resolution to "Won't Fix," "Abandoned," or something similar.  Add a Condition that only allows, say Project Admins to execute and also transition the sub-tasks and set the resolution at the same time.  There are a number of Apps in Marketplace that can do this kind of thing.

With built-in functionality, you could use the bulk change feature to transition the sub-tasks, but it's only slightly less manual than what you are doing now.

Suggest an answer