It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Applying resolution to sub-tasks when transitioning parent issue

Hey community 👋We're having a workflow rule that a parent issue cannot be moved to done unless all sub-tasks are resolved. Idea behind this is that the team should resolve sub-tasks first.

Now one could challenge this rule in the first place but that's not my question :)

My question is rather if it's possible to apply the resolution of a parent issue to sub-tasks when a user wants to move the parent issue to done (for example because it's no longer valid) and thus wants to apply that to sub-tasks, too.

What is the situation right now? One needs to move all sub-tasks manually which is tedious. 

1 answer

The way I would implement this is to create an "Abandon" transition on the parent issue workflow that goes to "Done" status (for example,) with a post-function that sets the Resolution to "Won't Fix," "Abandoned," or something similar.  Add a Condition that only allows, say Project Admins to execute and also transition the sub-tasks and set the resolution at the same time.  There are a number of Apps in Marketplace that can do this kind of thing.

With built-in functionality, you could use the bulk change feature to transition the sub-tasks, but it's only slightly less manual than what you are doing now.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Posted in Jira

Demo Den Ep. 7: New Jira Cloud Reports

Learn how to use two new reports for next-gen projects in Jira Cloud:  Cumulative flow diagram and Sprint burndown chart. Ivan Teong, Product Manager, Jira Software, demos the Cumulative ...

275 views 1 2
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you