Applying WIP limits on Jira columns

Jasdev Singh June 12, 2024

Hello,

I have entered MIN and MAX values for the WIP limits yet the limits dont get applied to the columns.

Please advise. 

Thanks

3 answers

0 votes
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2024

Hi @Jasdev Singh 

The min / max limits for board columns do not prevent moving issues on the board.  Instead they are visual indicators and reminders for the team.

If those limits prevented moving issues, I hypothesize there would be unintended consequences for a team:

• people may not move items on the board when needed 
  • people may stop tracking active work
  • capacity challenges, for different process steps, would be less visible
  • for teams measuring velocity or throughput, those will become less accurate
  • etc.

Rather than trying to use Jira to solve this symptom of not following the team's WIP limits, perhaps the team and their coach could discuss to understand the root causes and experiment to solve those causes.

Kind regards,
Bill

0 votes
Nikola Perisic
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2024

Welcome to the community @Jasdev Singh 

The limit colours your column in red when the maximum has been exceeded (if you have created a team managed project, maximum is only asked). If you want to restrict the users to actually move the issue in maximum exceeded column, this would require some additional tweaks.

Thanks Nikola but setting the limits does not color the column when the limit is exceeded. Am i missing something? Does it count the limit across the entire project or per individual?

Nikola Perisic
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2024

Screenshot 2024-06-12 at 14.34.19.pngScreenshot 2024-06-12 at 14.34.32.png 

This is the example that I am using.

Does it count the limit across the entire project or per individual?

Nikola Perisic
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2024

It applies individually.

0 votes
Duc Thang TRAN
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 12, 2024

Hello @Jasdev Singh 

When you return to your board, do you have a min an max value WIP in the coloumn ?

Suggest an answer